Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I recently bought the LG 27UK850-W 27" 4K UHD IPS Monitor but took a few weeks before I unboxed it. Today I am on the final day of my Amazon return period and although I still have a one-year warranty from LG to get it repaired for free if need be, I wanted to know if anyone has experienced anything like this.

I bought the monitor mainly due to its good reviews and USB-C connectivity, including USB-C Power Delivery for pass-through charging of my MacBook Pro. I am not interest in connecting it via HDMI or DisplayPort or anything else since that would involve an extra adapter and require me to use the AC power again. I've noticed that for half a second, sometimes frequently and other times not for a few days, the monitor will flicker black as if its lost the connection, then come right back to normal. If I recall correctly sometimes the MacBook Pro's internal screen also flickers alongside it (like it would normally when it loses the connection of an external monitor and needs to shuffle the windows back to the main screen) and sometimes it doesn't.

Regardless, I'm wondering if this was a short-term fluke, since for two days it's been perfect. I did reset the monitor settings following an LG phone representative's instructions, so I'm wondering if between that reseating the cables maybe everything just fell into place properly. Googling around I have come across posts where people see artifacts or display issues as horizontal or vertical bars across the screen, but I should clarify that for me it's just a brief moment where everything goes black.

If it is indeed a hardware defect how likely would it be to have a period of multiple days where nothing goes wrong and then have the problem come back? Basically before midnight I'll make a decision as to whether I'll ask Amazon for a replacement or hope all is now normal and ride off into the sunset. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.