Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which screen would you go for?

• Total voters

Neilfau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
UK
I want to get a new monitor to go with a new MacBook Pro 15”, I’ll be using it mostly for app development & photo editing. Could someone tell me what’s the advantages / disadvantages of the new UltraFine 4K screen over the LG27UK850? I have no idea which one is better for my needs, but I’m leaning towards the UltraFine because of daisy chaining and 2 thunderbolt 3 ports, but the extra few inches of the LG27UK850 would also be nice.

Last edited:

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
but the extra few inches of the LG27UK850 would also be nice
Keep in mind that's a few inches of physical size, but no extra resolution. Thus, the PPI is lower, and you'll need to lean on macOS scaled resolution more, to make it usable (i.e. fonts that aren't the size of a "my first words" book).

I'd personally would go with either one or two ~24" 4K's (I have 2 Dell 24" 4Ks) over a bigger display at the same resolution.

Neilfau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
UK
Thanks for the reply... yeah that makes sense, so will I get the same amount of retail estate as with the 27” screen but it will be scaled slightly smaller? I believe the 23.7” has a PPI of 186 where’s the 27” has a PPI of 163.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
At "default" ('looks like 1920x1080'), yes - same real estate but less cartoonish sizing. But for my use/vision/desk, I find that a little too large still, and prefer the next setting up - 'looks like 2304x1296'. Alas on a Mini this produces lag without an eGPU (which I need to organise from overseas), but on a MBP15 the Radeon should handle it fine, even on two displays.

Neilfau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
UK
Yeah I would probably do the same resolution. Thinking I’m leaning towards the 24 then maybe buying another one at a later date if need be.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
The new 23.7 from LG is really nice. I disabled the auto brightness because it likes to jump around too much but there is no backlight bleed and the colors are excellent.

Neilfau

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
UK
The new 23.7 from LG is really nice. I disabled the auto brightness because it likes to jump around too much but there is no backlight bleed and the colors are excellent.

Nice, yeah think I’ll go for that screen too ... think it will be perfect for my needs and I can always get a second one if I need more space.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
How does it look when the MacBook Pro 15 inch is plugged into the monitor? is it just a 15 inch screen that has been scaled up to 24 inches? or does it provide with legit more screen to work with, like you would have on an iMac? I loved the huge screen on my old iMac, but I don't want to invest in 2 different Macs again.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
How does it look when the MacBook Pro 15 inch is plugged into the monitor?
Default would be to expand the desktop, so each display (built-in and the LG) will be available at their own 'default' resolution. What you're talking about is Display Mirroring, where they display the same thing, and are limited to the resolution of the smallest display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.