Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2000
I've been test driving an LG 34 inch 3440x1440 this past week. It's plug and play with the Mac Pro cylinder. It comes with 2x Thunderbolt, 1x DisplayPort, and 1x HDMI ports. I also connected it to the Mac Pro tower with GTX 980 Ti using the DisplayPort.

With the Apple Thunderbolt display reaching end of life, it's nice to know there are good alternatives for legacy Mac Pros. Even if a new Apple Thunderbolt display is announced, it will likely have USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) ports -- necessary especially if it is 5K.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2000
I saw a setup at Frys Electronics with three curved LG 34" UltraWide screens. Talk about "immersive"! If you run X-Plane, you could define your resolution at 10320 x 1440.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I saw a setup at Frys Electronics with three curved LG 34" UltraWide screens. Talk about "immersive"! If you run X-Plane, you could define your resolution at 10320 x 1440.
What PC system/GPU was Fry's using for that - since their ASWIAS has been in a coma for about 5 years.
[doublepost=1466902652][/doublepost]huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhoiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
^cat post

Last edited:
Reactions: thornslack

shoehornhands

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
With the Apple Thunderbolt display reaching end of life

It's not "reaching" end of life. It's long gone, deceased, dead, no more, breathless and buried. While Apple's various phone, MacBook, iMac models have long since moved on to "retina" / 4k / 5k, their dedicated display is left behind. Heck, it's still using the original thunderbolt.

Then they have the audacity to continue to charge $1000 for it. I'm perfectly fine with a company making a profit. It's the fact that they blatantly exploit the hell out of the naivety of consumers that infuriates me.

Anyway, there are definitely a ton of great alternatives. This is the display I've been pointing out as an up-to-date alternative to the Apple display (given that it's a similarly priced thunderbolt display designed for Macs):

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC98-W-ultrawide-monitor

I personally use the Dell curved 34" display with my 15" MacBook Pro, and it's fantastic. The 34" 21:9 displays look a bit odd at first, but everybody I know that's used one, absolutely loves it / can't turn back.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Then they have the audacity to continue to charge $1000 for it. I'm perfectly fine with a company making a profit. It's the fact that they blatantly exploit the hell out of the naivety of consumers that infuriates me.

Don't take it personally, its just business. I don't get mad at Ferrari when I can buy a Ford much more cheaply. I don't necessarily want people telling me how to spend my money.

I currently use their smaller LG Ultrawide monitor, but the stand sucks.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Don't take it personally, its just business. I don't get mad at Ferrari when I can buy a Ford much more cheaply. I don't necessarily want people telling me how to spend my money.

I currently use their smaller LG Ultrawide monitor, but the stand sucks.

In addition, the 27" ACD & ATD are actually still great displays (quality wise, compared to a lot of displays on the market in the sub $800 club), especially for folks who wanted to dock a laptop. The Thunderbolt Display may be 5 years old, but let's remember, the 30" lived over 6...At work, we've got many designers that dock into their ATD and it makes a lot of sense for folks on the go. I think if the display had not been discontinued a drop in price this year would have been more than justified, but, in terms of laptop docking...it beats a lot of the clunky and expensive alternatives.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
There's a PC setup in youtube with 3x 4K 42" flat screens.

How are you getting 4K with 2011 MBP?
I have 2011 MBP and am interested in getting a 4K monitor but I am not sure what cable configuration is needed to use 4K monitor.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I really liked the LG 31" 4096x2160 display but found the width was really hurting my eyes so now I"m using the LG UltraFine 5k w/a tb3-2 adapter. You could say it's on loan from my spouse who originally bought, she's a video person and likes the extra screen space of the 31" so we did a little trade.

I wanted that 34" at first but I have bad eyes, they shake if they're both not open also looking too far left or right gives me a tremendous amount of eye strain :/, it sucks.

InuNacho

macrumors 68010
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
What PC system/GPU was Fry's using for that - since their ASWIAS has been in a coma for about 5 years.

Thats the beauty of Frys though! You can walk in and buy a new laptop from 2011 with the original price tag still attached. Then if you wanted to buy said laptop all the clerks would be missing or have no idea what to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.