Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm one of those Pages v4.0 holdouts. I'm playing around with Libre Office v5.1.1.3 as a replacement. I've looked online for an answer, but a quick search did not revel one. I've got a LibreOffice.odt document open and I'd like to add a hyperlink to some text. However, when I select the text I want to add the link to and then select: Edit:Link from the top menu, I see that the categories hyperlinks, fields, and links are grayed out.

Any easy answer to make these functional? Thanks!

If there is another better thread on this topic, please point me at it. (Searched for that too.) :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You're welcome.

I'll fess up, I've not yet tried this as a solution, but I was thanking you for responding. It's on my list of things to try, currently working with several word processors in a search for a Page v4 replacement. I'm still concerned as to why those menu items I mentioned in Libre Office are grayed out... :oops:

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
I haven't used Libre in more than a year and even then I used it sparingly. My memory isn't clear on the options that were available at that time. But, I have the notion that the Edit menu items you cited are used to edit document links that you've previously created. If you find the time, report back with your findings.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
I run LibreOffice. The Edit > Hyperlink seems to literally mean edit an existing hyperlink. You need to insert one before you can edit it. Probably would be better (more clear) to just have one create/edit hyperlink feature, but LO is free, open-source software without the same kind of guiding management of a big corporate productivity suite. Some of the things they do seem bizarre but someone somewhere had a reason for splitting the features... or just never got around to merging them.

Reactions: 997440
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.