Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toms_130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2019
hello,

i had taken my iphone se to the local apple store for fixing because of a small lift/ elevated corner on the screen- it looks like it had popped out of the enclosure a little. it was eventually sent out for further teaching to determine if there were any problems.

i am wondering if they actually took it apart (how would they have fixed it???) or if it was swapped out. I wasn't asked to reset before they send it off. on the work authorization email it listed repair estimate for "IPHONE 5S FLAT RATE CHARGE etc" for 300+ dollars.

today i got an email from apple saying that it has finished "repairing" and should be available for pickup in a few days (and it was free).

and if they are going to swap it out, don't they need me to reset old one then?

any ideas?

thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you ever take a screenshot of your About screen or kept original receipt, you could tell if they were swapping the device by comparing serial number.
As for the reset thing, I dont know. But if you swap device, usually they will tell you to turn off find iPhone and erase.

Toms_130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2019
If you ever take a screenshot of your About screen or kept original receipt, you could tell if they were swapping the device by comparing serial number.
As for the reset thing, I dont know. But if you swap device, usually they will tell you to turn off find iPhone and erase.
yeah they got me to turn that off. but wouldn't they need my pass code to reset ?? or when i pick phone up would they ask me to reset before issuing replacement??? i've never done this before!
[doublepost=1564565935][/doublepost]
Sounds to me like they fixed the problem as per their email.
it arrived tuesday 5:47 in the afternoon and repair said it was finished at 10. was that an error/too fast?

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
yeah they got me to turn that off. but wouldn't they need my pass code to reset ?? or when i pick phone up would they ask me to reset before issuing replacement??? i've never done this before!
[doublepost=1564565935][/doublepost]
it arrived tuesday 5:47 in the afternoon and repair said it was finished at 10. was that an error/too fast?
If they issue a replacement, they will tell you to erase the device. But for repair, they don't need to know your passcode. Just turn off find IPhone.

Toms_130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2019
If they issue a replacement, they will tell you to erase the device. But for repair, they don't need to know your passcode. Just turn off find IPhone.
do they ever get people to reset it after it gets returned from repair and issue replacement from store if they were going to swap it out,? or would they have done this all at the repair center if they were.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
do they ever get people to reset it after it gets returned from repair and issue replacement from store if they were going to swap it out,? or would they have done this all at the repair center if they were.
I have no idea about this whole mailed repair thing. But during my one MacBook Air repair experience, they ask me if my data is backed up, and bring machine to the back of Apple Store. After a couple of hours, they tell me to go back to store to pick the repaired device up.
And, what I have heard is they don’t care about your device passcode as they may DFU restore your device to the latest iOS when needed, removing passcode in the process. I could be wrong. But Apple should email or text you before they need to do something bigger.

Toms_130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2019
I have no idea about this whole mailed repair thing. But during my one MacBook Air repair experience, they ask me if my data is backed up, and bring machine to the back of Apple Store. After a couple of hours, they tell me to go back to store to pick the repaired device up.
And, what I have heard is they don’t care about your device passcode as they may DFU restore your device to the latest iOS when needed, removing passcode in the process. I could be wrong. But Apple should email or text you before they need to do something bigger.
thankyou for the info!
[doublepost=1564572792][/doublepost]
I doubt it took the tech more than a few minutes to fix.
thankyou for the info!

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.