Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
I'm looking for a monitor light-bar that fits well with thin bezel monitors (like the BenQ screenbar, but apparently Chinese products are already taking over the market)
All the lightbars I've seen they have a "foot" that sits in the front of the monitor to counter the weight that keeps then in position. Apparently most of them they need 2-3cm clearance, that is fine for a monitor with decent bezel.

However my monitor it has only a bezel of about 0.7cm, so most of the staff in the market are a no-go for my monitor.

If anyone has a suggestion for a light-bar that will work with thin-bezel monitors, that would be highly appreciated!

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
For anyone who's interested, I bought the MI (Xiaomi) monitor Light bar with the wireless remote.
Except is amazing and ergonomically is better than the BenQ with the wired controls. it covers only 0.7cm (7mm). of the bezel, so it is ideal for thin bezel monitors. Perfect fit for my monitor.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I got the Benq a few years ago. LOVE IT! It doesn't "clamp" onto the screen, it uses a counter-balance method to basically just sit on top of the screen. The lighting options are awesome! I'm not sure how it's "ergonomically" bad because it doesn't have a remote. It's not like you're constantly touching it.

A1FoobKP4SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
I got the Benq a few years ago. LOVE IT! It doesn't "clamp" onto the screen, it uses a counter-balance method to basically just sit on top of the screen. The lighting options are awesome! I'm not sure how it's "ergonomically" bad because it doesn't have a remote. It's not like you're constantly touching it.

The point of the post was to check if someone could give me some info for using lightbars with thin bezel monitors because all the light-bars have this tiny foot that sits in the front of the screen for counterbalance. I'm not talking about clamp-type light-bars; the ones I've tried had a similar design with the Benq, that based on counterbalance. In a world that the bezels become thinner by the day, I really don't understand why the manufacturers don't state what is the length of the front foot.

Truth is that I got and tried the BenQ lightbar (the one without the wired remote control). Its front "foot" requires a slightly longer bezel than the MI lightbar (about 8-9mm long). In my screen the foot will extend beyond the bezel, covering about 1-2mm of the viewing area, where the Mi foot covers no viewing area as it is shorter; this, normally, would have been enough for me to choose the MI over BenQ lightbar, as in terms of the lighting, both perform about the same.

Speaking specifically for the controls, it does look to me that the MI light bar is ergonomically better. The Mi has a remote control puck that is wireless (there are no controls in the light bar and there is no wired remote control like the more expensive version of the BenQ). I found the BenQ controls annoying as I had to be very careful not to apply any extra force because it will cause the lightbar and the screen to vibrate and sometimes to change position. with the MI you don't have to touch the light bar for on/off or to change the settings and you don't have to have an extra cable at your desk. You literally can put the puck anywhere you like.

The comparison is a bit unfair for the BenQ, as it's a 2-year-old product, where the MI lightbar is only a few months old, but regardless of its age, the cheap BenQ lightbar still costs more than double the price of the Mi lightbar and the only extra function that has is the auto-dim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.