Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi Everyone. Someone posted a link to a DIY Light Box (I think HckySo) in another thread, and I figured I'd try it out. At first, my results were terrible. I was just using the natural lighting of the room and all the shots were really grainy & dark. (So dark most shots were 100% black) Anyway, I played with the shutter & aperture on my camera & decided to add a lamp in front of the box that pointed up at the inside top of the box. I setup my tripod in front of it, and the pictures were fantastic. I'm going to play with the setup a bit more and see if I can't get it to work better. I just wanted to share with you guys a few pics I took and ask for maybe any critique/tips using light boxes.

Oh, & please feel free to post your own shots!

~Enjoy

18.png

19.png

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
Thanks for posting it! I love that pic of the water bottle; how did you get that reflection? What kind of paper did you use for the backdrop kind of? I used a very non reflective white poster board.

Well you really can't naturally get those kind of effects, I've just been using Photoshop since I was 10.

HckySo

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
turn around
and how old are you now? your seem to be a PS master!

I'm 15.
I was a DJ at age 12 making 500 a night. I was a web designer at age 13 for numerous organizations and small companies. And at age 14 I started working for one of the highest paid photographers in the region.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
I'm 15.
I was a DJ at age 12 making 500 a night. I was a web designer at age 13 for numerous organizations and small companies. And at age 14 I started working for one of the highest paid photographers in the region.

I envy u, I'm fifteen and just starting to expand in photoshop and Illustrator

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm 15.

Three letters- IRA.

Put what you're earning into a Roth IRA, by the time you reach my age, you'll be set.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
hey, almost done with mine...
ms-3-strobist.jpg

in that picture, it looks like he's got black posterboard taped to the back of his box. will I need that? thanks...

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Picture doesn't work... All I did was I cut out these sides of the box:

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]_________
l        l
l        l
[/COLOR][U]l        l[/U]

Then, I staple-gunned/hot glued tissue paper on the outside of all the "windows". Then I took a big piece of flexible poster board, cut out a rectangle and slid it inside the box and had it continue on outside the box like a carpet.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Hey,

These are shots take with my new DIY Light Box that I put together the other day. I love this box, especially for the price!

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Picture doesn't work... All I did was I cut out these sides of the box:

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]_________
l        l
l        l
[/COLOR][U]l        l[/U]

Then, I staple-gunned/hot glued tissue paper on the outside of all the "windows". Then I took a big piece of flexible poster board, cut out a rectangle and slid it inside the box and had it continue on outside the box like a carpet.

cool, that's what I've done too. In that case, all done!:)
I need/want a pocket wizard! Are they worth the money?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Gosh, you guys are doing great with your DIY light tents/boxes! Shoot, where were you when I went out and spent $$$ to buy a light tent? :D

On the Internet finding out how to do it cheaper ;)

cool, that's what I've done too. In that case, all done!:)
I need/want a pocket wizard! Are they worth the money?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Alien Bees has a new remote wireless trigger that's way cheap and though I haven't seen a review may be worth the chance if you don't need to rely on it day after day professionally in which case the Wizards win.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
How did you guys deal with the noise?
I'm using Point and shoot with tungson light selected, 1/200 shutter speed, and f3.2 as apeture. I'm experiences high to mild noise.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
How did you guys deal with the noise?
I'm using Point and shoot with tungson light selected, 1/200 shutter speed, and f3.2 as apeture. I'm experiences high to mild noise.

well, how bright is your lamp/strobe? are you using a tripod? what's your ISO speed?
a tripod (which enables long exposure, and therefore low ISO) is really key for this kind of work.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
well, how bright is your lamp/strobe? are you using a tripod? what's your ISO speed?
a tripod (which enables long exposure, and therefore low ISO) is really key for this kind of work.

I'm using ISO 800 (which is the highest on my camera). No tripod also, thats probably it. Every other ISO setting is too dark.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I'm using ISO 800 (which is the highest on my camera). No tripod also, thats probably it. Every other ISO setting is too dark.

that's it. get a tripod, take the ISO down to 200 (or 100 if you can), and leave the shutter open for as long as it needs to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.