Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TekSupport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I have the cash for either of these....just wanted your thoughts on which is the better deal...been doing portrait work mostly outside no indoors with just reflectors and such...Mostly neighborhood kids that can't afford the charge a studio usually charges for senior pictures. Time I get something to help me out some. ...:D

http://www.alienbees.com/busy.html

http://www.white-lightning.com/remote_studio.html

They good..bad..overkill?

TIA!!!!!!!:):)

TekSupport

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have the cash for either of these....just wanted your thoughts on which is the better deal

Overkill? No. Outdoors lighting has to be very powerfull. You are competing with the sun. When the main light is the sun and you want to be one stop below that the light must be half as bright as sunlight. You can see why people who shoot outdoors like fast sync speeds, A one stop faster sync means you can use a flash that is half as powerful.

I got a better deal but I was lucky. I found a studio power pack system being sold used. These are MUCH more "industrial" build quality. The AB and Lightening brands have kind of a "value" build quality compared to the big guys like Speedotron and Broncolor and Norman. Mine is a Norman three head setup. It's anything but light weight.

Calumet is selling a nice high-end system made by Bowens cheap right now. Take a look
http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CE2940KU/?t=CM01&a=CM01
The power pack will power more lampheads if you want. My guess is that a 3000WS setup like this would allow you to shoot a group shot at ISO 100 and f/16 even with softboxes over the lamps.

Whatever you do buy make sure the lamp heads have fans. The model lights will heat up a softbox and start a fire without the fans running.

Buying a lighting system is like buying an SLR. You will become committed to that system.

I prefer the power pack system because all the controls can be possitioned right at the tripod in one place.

TekSupport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Thanks for the reply guys....

Frankie: followed the link and those shots are awesome..! Looks like them little bees have quite the sting..very nice.!

Chris: That looks like a really good deal...however, I'm lookin for a more "total package" than just the lights...since I don't have much..I might as well get an all inclusive deal than buy parts little buy little. Make sense? I DID check on the websites of the various vendors you mentioned. I REALLY like the kits that Norman has offering. very tempting.!!! :D

TS

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I've been interested in getting an Alien Bees setup for a while now, and I'll probably invest in some pretty soon after I finish this intro to studio lighting course. I've been using three speedlights off camera for a good bit now and after my internship this summer and taking this class I feel pretty up to it.

Looking at a ring flash and maybe one or two 800's. Does that sound good? I'll also want to look into a battery pack for traveling. Would I need more than one if I am using multiple lights?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.