Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericrsxavier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2018
Hello,

My lighting cable sunk its tip in the water and I lost one of its "golden" squared patches. It looks like nothing is rust, but should I worry or can I keep using it?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hello,

My lighting cable sunk its tip in the water and I lost one of its "golden" squared patches. It looks like nothing is rust, but should I worry or can I keep using it?

If you cable is damaged I would not use it. If one of the contacts are gone, it may no longer work. A little dip in water should not cause this damage. One or more of the contacts can be discolored but is normal and will still work.

If you can take it to an Apple store, I have witnessed them replacing a damaged cable at no charge.

Reactions: ericrsxavier

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Those are electrical contacts. A dip in water wouldn't make it fall off...

Nonetheless, the connector is reversible, so only 1 side needs to operate.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If one of the pads on the connector is corroding from water exposure, I would not want to risk corroding the Lightning port on the iPhone as well.

But then again, if you have an iPhone 5, you're probably not too worried about longevity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.