Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackiee

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
I have an almost two month old iPhone 8. I have noticed that the lightning cable connector can be wiggled up and down and to the sides when inserted in the charging port. We also have an iPhone 6S and a 7 in the family. I tested all phones with the same lightning cable (charging cable that came with the 8). The 8 and the 6S has some wiggle (up/down and side to side) but the 7 is really snug side to side with just a tiny very minimal wiggle up and down. I also noted that the 6S (space gray) and the 7 (gold) has white internals in the lightning port but the 8 (Product Red) has black internals. Has the port been redesigned between 7 and 8?

Another thing I noticed is that the lightning connector on all our charging cables is just a tad bit longer than the connector on the earbuds cables and headphone adapters that comes with the 7 and 8. The charging cables has a little bit more of a click to it when inserted but they also tend to wiggle more (in the 6S and 8)...

I'm really only interested in how the 8 should feel? Should the contact be able to wiggle some or should it be absolutely snug in all directions (like in our 7)?

aukuski03

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2018
My so has an iPhone 7 and he has this issue as well. Sometimes, the cord will even fall out on its own. It does not fit securely in the phone. I have an 8Plus and an iPad Pro and do not have an issue with either of them.... always curious why his phone has this problem.

mackiee

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
My so has an iPhone 7 and he has this issue as well. Sometimes, the cord will even fall out on its own. It does not fit securely in the phone. I have an 8Plus and an iPad Pro and do not have an issue with either of them.... always curious why his phone has this problem.
In my case there is absolutely no risk that the cable will "fall out" when inserted. I do also not have any problem charging it. It just has some wiggling when the other family members iPhone 7 is really snug with the same cable connector.

Reactions: aukuski03

osta.doc

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
I had wiggle in the port also. Mine was due to pocket lint buildup. Turned it off and cleaned it out with an unfolded paper clip. Flat toothpick may also work, if your problem is the same.

I was shocked at how much lint I dug out of that tiny port......lol

Reactions: Newtons Apple

mackiee

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
I had wiggle in the port also. Mine was due to pocket lint buildup. Turned it off and cleaned it out with an unfolded paper clip. Flat toothpick may also work, if your problem is the same.

I was shocked at how much lint I dug out of that tiny port......lol
Already checked. No pocket lint or anything else in the port...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
With my iPhones, I have never had any side to side play with the lightning port and connector. Perhaps maybe some is tolerable, but if that’s loose or falling out, that would be a concern for Apple to assess.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Try a Paracable. It's awesome. It may not fit any better though. I never use Apple lightening cables any more. They're lame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.