Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
I was taking a look at my new iphone 11 and noticed in the lighting port that the actual metal pins inside are not all at the same level/height.

The left one and middle one are a tiny bit depressed compared to the others.
it's a tiny tiny difference.

It seems another iphone, of a friend, an iphone 11 pro might be the same, however all models at the apple store i checked tonight are hard to judge but seem all more level albeit more depressed.

i thought this might be by design, or possibly I'm assuming that using the lightning power cable enough use all of the pins will flatten more.

what are your thoughts?

thanks

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
After about 6000 insertions of the Lightning cable into the port, the port's pins will indeed wear down to the point that it will difficult to maintain a secure connection. At that point (likely 5 years or more from now) the phone will need to be replaced as port repair is very expensive and apple won't even do it. Also - you won't want to even use a phone that long --- so don't worry about it

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I was taking a look at my new iphone 11 and noticed in the lighting port that the actual metal pins inside are not all at the same level/height.

The left one and middle one are a tiny bit depressed compared to the others.
it's a tiny tiny difference.

It seems another iphone, of a friend, an iphone 11 pro might be the same, however all models at the apple store i checked tonight are hard to judge but seem all more level albeit more depressed.

i thought this might be by design, or possibly I'm assuming that using the lightning power cable enough use all of the pins will flatten more.

what are your thoughts?

thanks

If you’re having charging infrequencies where the lightning cable is not making a solid connection with the lightning port, then I would say you have a legit problem. But if the phone is charging perfectly normal without any further issues, then why would you do anything about it in the first place? I’m guessing for you to even notice something inside the lighting port, you’re probably overly-particular, which is your prerogative. But then again, you might find something wrong with the next iPhone you exchange. [I’m not trying to be dismissive of your concern, but more or less trying to have you see the opposite side of the spectrum here.]

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
you're absolutely right sir.
doing a job that requires extreme attention to detail doesn't help either :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.