Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Hi everyone,

I have a pair of Solo Beats Pro and would love a cheap cable for lightning to 3.5mm like this:

There does seem to be lots of cables out there, but not many that work with the Solo Beats Pro / AirPod Max.

Any cable, anyone recommends as an alternative?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
This cable will not work with headphones - only iOS devices to output to headphones
Oh I see. You're looking for a 3.5mm cable that converts analog input to digital output for headphones through a Lightning connector. For that, I think $30-$35 is entirely reasonable. It's not just a cable. It's an A to D converter.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Would this work?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Would this work?
No same issue. Don’t think any 3rd parties have made cables or adapters yet which is not great

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
There is currently no alternative for Apple's cable because it is a two-way cable. It functions both as DAC (Digital to Analog Converter, you can plug your iphone into speakers with it) *and* as an ADC (Analog to Digital Converter, you can plug your airpods max into an audio player with it). All the other lightning to 3.5mm cables are DACs only.

I'm sure the industry will catch up soon though and make either two-way cables like Apple's, or just straight ADC cables specifically for airpods max usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.