Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
I did some testing with a couple of USB 3 to GigE adapters with the new Lightning to USB 3 adapter will good results. Seems as long as you get one with the Realtek RTL8153 chipset it will work (others may work as well, anyone know?). If you grab one of these http://www.amazon.com/Woopower-Supe...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 you can get gigabit ethernet PLUS 3 working USB ports to add additional compatible peripherals (keyboard, microphone, midi device, etc) and now your iPad (or anything with lightning) stays charged.

The only thing it's missing is an area in the Settings app to adjust the network settings of the connected Ethernet device.

Made a video here:

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
been using a usb 3 hub with ethernet on the pro since november with excellent results as you.

props for updating the new pro users to the scene... :cool:

Ahh, yeah I knew there were people using it in some form but I thought I'd add it since the new adapter just came out. I also didn't see any clear info anywhere on which Ethernet adapters were actually compatible so I just picked a couple that needed no drivers with Mac OS X...

How were you getting that work before the new adapter though? Were you using a powered hub first connected to the old Camera adapter, and then a USB to ethernet dongle plugged into that? Of course it's nice you can actually keep your iPad charged now which makes the whole thing much more useful. Have you done any speed tests (if you have the new adapter) to see if you can approach actual GigE speeds with the right ethernet adapter?

tom504

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2009
That's pretty cool. If I had not upgraded to an AC router I might look into that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.