Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saphire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
UK
Any ideas why the sandisk ixpand app doesn’t recognise the ixpand drive when connected to a lighting to usb c adapter. I am trying to connect it to my M1 12.9. Tried two lightening to usb c adapter neither work.

Saphire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
UK
Thanks, I never thought of that, power works fine through adapter. I also tried it with a standard usb a to usb c adapter I can view see all the files and photos in files app but ixpand app doesn’t see the flash

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks, I never thought of that, power works fine through adapter. I also tried it with a standard usb a to usb c adapter I can view see all the files and photos in files app but ixpand app doesn’t see the flash

Adapters can be tricky with slightly different pinouts and access methods.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
iXpand app only recognizes it when used with the lightning port and not via USB port. Just like how it's on the computer, when plugged in via USB, it acts as a normal flash drive so need to access it via Files app. I have 2 drives and it sucks I can't use the app on my iPad Pros, only on my iPhone.

Saphire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
UK
At first I thought the flash drive was faulty but it works fine on the 2018 ipad and iphone 11. I think I will have to buy a usb c hub

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
At first I thought the flash drive was faulty but it works fine on the 2018 ipad and iphone 11. I think I will have to buy a usb c hub
See my post above. It doesn't matter if you get a hub or not, iXpand app will NOT recognize the drive if connected via USB-C, only via lightning port on iPhone or lightning iPads.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
See my post above. It doesn't matter if you get a hub or not, iXpand app will NOT recognize the drive if connected via USB-C, only via lightning port on iPhone or lightning iPads.

Exactly. It was the same way with my 10.5 and other Lightning drives I had (not iXpand). One of the reasons I moved on to the 2018 12.9 Pro was to get away from the proprietary Lightning connection and all of its limitations.

Saphire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
UK
Thanks for all your help, it looks like I will have to get new ssd drives for all my photos not bothering with flash this time and wifi drives are to slow.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks for all your help, it looks like I will have to get new ssd drives for all my photos not bothering with flash this time and wifi drives are to slow.

For USB-C, that's the way to go. I have a Samsung T-5 SSD but the newer version, the T-7, is faster and a great option.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Iirc, iXpand has a USB-A connector. That side is simply USB mass storage so you should be able to use that with USB-C to USB-A adapter.

Saphire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
UK
It works fine on the usb side through files but it gets too hot for my liking when transferring stuff. The ipad stays cool at the plug, the ixpand and adapter get extremely hot so don’t want to risk it through usb

Saphire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
UK
Thanks all, what i am really looking for is something that is future proof well at least 10 years. Every couple of years I tranfer all my memorable photos for my children to something more up to date, I am finding flash, dvds, hdd are not as robust as I once thought they were, they are all getting outdated or fail on a regular basis. I am hoping ssd is the way to go

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks all, what i am really looking for is something that is future proof well at least 10 years. Every couple of years I tranfer all my memorable photos for my children to something more up to date, I am finding flash, dvds, hdd are not as robust as I once thought they were, they are all getting outdated or fail on a regular basis. I am hoping ssd is the way to go

Umm, nope. The cells in SSDs can lose charge as they age and they're harder to recover data from.

Best to keep multiple copies on different media types and locations. Aside from the on-device copy (SSD), I use external HDD + NAS + cloud.

Reactions: sparksd

Applecool78

macrumors member
May 30, 2021
Umm, nope. The cells in SSDs can lose charge as they age and they're harder to recover data from.

Best to keep multiple copies on different media types and locations. Aside from the on-device copy (SSD), I use external HDD + NAS + cloud.
If Apple use macrumors then we would have why more stuff and Apple would have more feedback
includeing Apple making a new Storage system ASS new for all Apple Products ASS means Apple Storage System
but if Apple did read mac rumors they Would probably be like just use I cloud and not read mac rumors
that much

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
If Apple use macrumors then we would have why more stuff and Apple would have more feedback
includeing Apple making a new Storage system ASS new for all Apple Products ASS means Apple Storage System
but if Apple did read mac rumors they Would probably be like just use I cloud and not read mac rumors
that much

I doubt Apple would consider MacRumors forums to be representative of their larger customer base.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

In my experience external SSDs (more than internal ones) tend to be very solid, much more than USB thumb drives, and can stand shocks much better than HDDs, but it's always good practice to have a copy on the cloud.
I would suggest the Sandisk extreme SSD which can easily survive falls and is extremely portable...

Saphire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
UK
I have all my photos in google photos, Big mistake, they strip all the metadata from the files, I only found out when I downloaded them all last night ready to transfer, all original data is lost. i am so mad.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
In my experience external SSDs (more than internal ones) tend to be very solid, much more than USB thumb drives, and can stand shocks much better than HDDs, but it's always good practice to have a copy on the cloud.
I would suggest the Sandisk extreme SSD which can easily survive falls and is extremely portable...

Yeah, they're very shock resistant.

However, archival/cold storage for 10+ years? That's iffy. NAND flash cells lose charge over time. I like SSDs for live data and fast transfers but they can be quite sensitive to sudden power losses or surges which can wipe out the contents of the drive (kinda like an unwanted instant secure erase). I had the second happen to me with a bad USB port. Thankfully, I was just using the SSD as scratch space for ripping my 4K Blu-ray discs.

Also, TRIM and garbage collection are good for SSD health but pretty much makes data unrecoverable. HDDs are easier for data recovery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.