Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason.williams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Hello everyone.

I am currently testing out LR 2 and Aperture 2. Figured I would use the full 30 day trial before my I make my decision.

My question though is about integrating LR2 with iPhoto.
Is there a preferred method to do this?

I am not sure if I am going to use LR 2 for my organizing or iPhoto for my organizing. Either way, I wasn't sure how to get the two to work together correctly.

Also, another question.
If I opt to use LR 2 as my organizing software, if I want to use iPhoto to create books, calenders, slide shows and use the rest of iLife suite, what is the process here? Do I have to end up exporting the files I want out of LR 2 and into iPhoto? Does this mean I will have two separate locations of pictures; one for LR 2 and one for iPhoto?

Thanks for the help.
Much obliged.

Jason

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Yes exporting them is the only option. What I tend to do is convert my raw files into DNG's, then export them back out as jpegs into a folder for iPhoto to look at and then import. I'm not concerned too much about the quality of the photos when I do a straight jpeg conversion when they go into iPhoto.

At the moment I do this because it is easier for me to have 2 separate libraries because of the project I'm working on. I use iphoto to send samples to the people I photograph but I make the real 'man' edits in LR. iPhoto has better email integration over LR.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If I opt to use LR 2 as my organizing software, if I want to use iPhoto to create books, calenders, slide shows and use the rest of iLife suite, what is the process here? Do I have to end up exporting the files I want out of LR 2 and into iPhoto? Does this mean I will have two separate locations of pictures; one for LR 2 and one for iPhoto?

Yes it's an export from LR and import to iPhoto but you can tell iPhoto when you import the files to keep them where they are rather then move them into the iPhoto library. When you do this, tell iPhoto to reference the files you have to be careful to never move them. But you do avoid duplcating the files. But on the other hand I just bought a 1TB disk drive for $150. Storage is cheap.

That is one advantage of Aperture. Apples media browser can directly access an Aperture library, just like it can access an iPhoto library.

jason.williams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Its been a back and forth battle for me; should I go with LR 2 or with Aperture 2. Both have pluses and minuses.

One thing I keep thinking about is, down the road, I am planning on using Photoshop CS3/CS4, when I get more comfortable with everything. Isn't it true, that integrating CS3/CS4 with LR 2 would be easier, than say with Aperture 2?

The one other thing I like about Aperture 2 is the books. They are very nice. I can do the same think in iPhoto, but the ones in Aperture are very nice.

I need to learn more about DNG's. I am pretty new to digital photography, but im learning quickly. :)

Thanks again!

Jason

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.