Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Outstanding new noise reduction technology & much more are now available in beta 2 of Lightroom 3.0, a free download from Adobe Labs. Highlights of this release include:

• Improved performance throughout the application for faster importing and loading of images
  • Native tethered shooting support for select Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras
  • Luminance noise reduction has been added to the previous color noise reduction improvements available in the first public beta for outstanding overall high ISO quality
  • Support for importing and managing video files from DSLR cameras for better overall photographic workflow control
  • Improvements to the import experience in the first beta to reflect public feedback
  • Improved watermarking functionality from the first beta to reflect public feedback
  • Additional Preliminary Camera Support
    • Canon EOS 550D (Rebel T2i / Kiss X4 Digital)
    • Olympus E-PL1
    • Panasonic G2
    • Panasonic G10
    • Sony Alpha 450 (A450)

Looks promising - although I have to say I have mixed feelings about a second beta coming out. Means we have longer to wait for the full release!

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Native tethered shooting support for select Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras
Why only "select" cameras? Isn't tethering just a case of the app watching the memory card for image files arriving? There's no direct communication between the app and the camera operating system, is there?

firestarter

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Why only "select" cameras? Isn't tethering just a case of the app watching the memory card for image files arriving? There's no direct communication between the app and the camera operating system, is there?

Read the press release!

Old-school Lightroom tethering was based on folder watching. This new tethering functionality uses the manufacturers own SDK to allow LR to talk directly to the camera. It therefore only supports cameras supported by these SDKs.

I don't know whether the old folder-watching style tethering has been retained.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
But I trusted your summary to provide all of the pertinent information... :p

That sounds cool though. I've no need for tethering (I'll be upgrading for other reasons) but I like to know the technology as people always seem to ask me...

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
My credit card as Adobe's name all over it. Just waiting for the final release ;)

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
My credit card as Adobe's name all over it. Just waiting for the final release ;)

Same here. I'm still on LR1, so it's going to be a big jump in both speed and functionality for me. This Beta 2 release does suggest we'll be waiting until at least summer though.

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
The noise reduction on this thing is going to give programs like NoiseNinja a run for their money. This is truly incredible. I'm taking high ISO pictures and it's night and day. I am so very impressed.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
I'm impressed. Importing is much quicker and noise reduction seems to be very good, now that colour and luminance are both functioning.

Shot at 3200 on my D200 - not noted for great high ISO performance...

CRK_1677-Edit-2.jpg

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Wow! I'm pretty familiar with what ISO3200 looks like coming straight out of a D200 (I have a D80 using the same sensor) and the few I have taken at ISO3200 are borderline unusable even for standard screen viewing. That is pretty amazing! Will definitely embolden me to shoot at higher ISOs much more often. I always just intended to wait until the retail release of LR3 to look into it but now I am tempted to try the beta...

Ruahrc

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Tom Hogarty, Project Manager for Lr3, has said that additional camera tethering support is coming.

On this topic, I saw this today as well: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1003/10032402lightroombetaupdate.asp

Without igniting a flame war, after reading articles and quotes like this, it makes me a little sad that Apple lacks Adobe's transparency not only when it comes to public betas, but also commenting on and reacting to consumer feedback on features, etc.

I guess we'll really know once the final product is released (this summer?)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.