Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Hey everyone.

I recently tried out Lightroom's "export PDF" feature in the Slideshow module. No matter what settings I use, the resulting pdf displays low quality images. I've tried rendering 1:1 previews before exporting and setting the quality at 100. All the images I'm using are larger (in dimensions) than the pdf I'm exporting.

Is there any way around this? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

D.

EDIT 1: I just tried out the "export video" option, and the pictures are crisp and sharp, so I guess it has something to do with the pdf engine.
EDIT 2: Here's a picture of the problem. Original pic on the right, PDF version on the left. I set the PDF size to be the same as the original picture.

mahood

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
UK
Hey everyone.
I recently tried out Lightroom's "export PDF" feature in the Slideshow module. No matter what settings I use, the resulting pdf displays low quality images. I've tried rendering 1:1 previews before exporting and setting the quality at 100. All the images I'm using are larger (in dimensions) than the pdf I'm exporting.
Is there any way around this? Am I doing something wrong?

I've not played with it much myself, but could it be the 'resolution' of the image? If the DPI setting is low, the quality will suffer.

Perhaps PDF isn't the right solution for exporting - there may be limits in the format itself which restrict quality to keep file size down... Maybe there's another way to achieve what you're trying to?

Mark

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I've not played with it much myself, but could it be the 'resolution' of the image? If the DPI setting is low, the quality will suffer.

Perhaps PDF isn't the right solution for exporting - there may be limits in the format itself which restrict quality to keep file size down... Maybe there's another way to achieve what you're trying to?

I figured out how to do what I wanted to do. I never use the Slideshow, Print and Web modules, so I had no idea what could be done. I wanted to have a PDF that showed thumbnails of my flagged pics from each shoot, similar to the Contact Sheet II option in Photoshop. The Print module lets you do that, and instead of printing you simply select "Save as PDF". Be sure to uncheck "Draft Mode Printing" and set an adequate dpi to get sharp, crisp pictures.

I still have problems exporting to PDF from the Slideshow module. The resulting PDF displays low-quality images regardless of the settings used. But I don't think I'll be using it soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.