Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I recently switched from Aperture to Lightroom and am finding a few "features" of its interface to be really annoying. One of them is the navigation away from an image, triggered only by hovering over a part of an image with the mouse (that is, no clicking or dragging is involved). This behavior occurs regularly while I'm in the Library module, and it's driving me nuts. Any way to turn it off?

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Not sure exactly what you are describing here? I have not seen this behavior with Lightroom. Maybe you can explain in a little more detail

Ruahrc

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Well, when I hover over the right side of a photo, Lightroom takes me to the next photo to the right. Likewise with the left, top, and bottom. It seems to happen sort of sporadically, so maybe my scroll wheel is causing it to happen. That idea occurred to me after I posted this thread. I'm going to try working with my mouse's "microgear" scrolling option for a while to see if that changes anything.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Hover over its thumbnail in the grid view? Or in the full-screen (loupe) view?

What kind of mouse is it, is it the magic mouse? I could maybe see where sporadic scroll input could be a possibility there but if it's a mouse with a more traditional wheel, do you have scrolling trouble in other applications?

Ruahrc

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Well, when I hover over the right side of a photo, Lightroom takes me to the next photo to the right. Likewise with the left, top, and bottom. It seems to happen sort of sporadically, so maybe my scroll wheel is causing it to happen. That idea occurred to me after I posted this thread. I'm going to try working with my mouse's "microgear" scrolling option for a while to see if that changes anything.

Something's not right. If I am in loupe view, I can switch images by using the arrow keys or swiping left/right/up/down. Maybe your mouse is doing the latter unintentionally?

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
My magic mouse sees "scrolling fingers" everywhere (and used to jump around in Lightroom's Library view all the time).

It's not enough just to keep my fingers off of the top surface, I have to keep them a few centimetres above the mouse. It was a real pain at first, but I've gotten the hang of it now, so I'd guess you've got some sort of mouse scrolling problem too.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Hover over its thumbnail in the grid view? Or in the full-screen (loupe) view?

What kind of mouse is it, is it the magic mouse? I could maybe see where sporadic scroll input could be a possibility there but if it's a mouse with a more traditional wheel, do you have scrolling trouble in other applications?

Ruahrc

Loupe view, not grid.

It's a Logitech MX620, one of those with a scroll wheel that also tilts for horizontal scrolling. I think it's the culprit. For whatever reason, it doesn't cause this problem in Aperture, but it does in Lightroom, so long as I have the smooth scrolling enabled. Switching it over to "microgear" scrolling (via a hardware switch on the bottom of the mouse) seems to have solved my problem, although I prefer the smooth scrolling for all other applications.

:apple: While I have the eyeballs of some veteran Lightroom users, perhaps someone could help me with another little problem. Is there any way (besides the View Options-->Show Info Overlay) to see some basic EXIF info at all times? Whenever I'm in Loupe view or in Develop, I can no longer see what exposure and ISO I used, unless I manually change my second monitor each time to be in Grid view. Right now I have that Show Info Overlay active, but the font for it is huge and obnoxiously superimposed upon the image itself: blech!

Alternatively, is there any way to change that obnoxious font size? Even the the smaller of the two sizes available is still very large.

I miss Aperture's option to have an EXIF "HUD" open at all times.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Is there any way (besides the View Options-->Show Info Overlay) to see some basic EXIF info at all times? Whenever I'm in Loupe view or in Develop, I can no longer see what exposure and ISO I used, unless I manually change my second monitor each time to be in Grid view. Right now I have that Show Info Overlay active, but the font for it is huge and obnoxiously superimposed upon the image itself: blech!

I just keep the histogram on the right pane open and look at the basic info listed there. I can also collapse the keywords and quick develop settings to see the metadata at the same time. The histogram is visible in the Develop module too, however when you mouse over the image, the basic details will change to RGB values. I never use the Show Info Overlay unless all of my other panes are closed.

A lot of the font sizes can be changed through the Interface preferences.

You haven't asked this yet, but it was worth it for me to go to help.adobe.com and download the online version of the manual, as that has almost 10 pages worth of keyboard shortcuts at the very back.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
You haven't asked this yet, but it was worth it for me to go to help.adobe.com and download the online version of the manual, as that has almost 10 pages worth of keyboard shortcuts at the very back.

On the topic of keyboard shortcuts, arguably the most useful is
Code:
Command + /
This gives a context-sensitive list of keyboard shortcuts for whatever module you're working in.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I just keep the histogram on the right pane open and look at the basic info listed there. I can also collapse the keywords and quick develop settings to see the metadata at the same time. The histogram is visible in the Develop module too, however when you mouse over the image, the basic details will change to RGB values. I never use the Show Info Overlay unless all of my other panes are closed.

A lot of the font sizes can be changed through the Interface preferences.

Ah, many thanks for pointing out that moving the mouse away from the image in the Develop module will show EXIF instead of RGB values. I hadn't noticed that. I have the manual with the keyboard shortcuts, and I've picked up a few useful ones; will mine them further.

I don't see any way to change that overlay font in the interface settings, alas.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
It's a Logitech MX620, one of those with a scroll wheel that also tilts for horizontal scrolling. I think it's the culprit.

I have the MX1100 and see the same thing with lowly iPhoto. The selection flies all over the place, especially switching back from PhotoShop to an Event. The scroll wheel is great, but needs to go into that click wheel mode.

Dale

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
While I have the eyeballs of some veteran Lightroom users, perhaps someone could help me with another little problem. Is there any way (besides the View Options-->Show Info Overlay) to see some basic EXIF info at all times? Whenever I'm in Loupe view or in Develop, I can no longer see what exposure and ISO I used, unless I manually change my second monitor each time to be in Grid view. Right now I have that Show Info Overlay active, but the font for it is huge and obnoxiously superimposed upon the image itself: blech!

I'm sure you saw it already but you can customize the information shown in the upper left text block inside the view options>show info overlay dialog box? From there you can select things like ISO, aperture, lens, etc. If you are not seeing the info you want- can't you just modify that sectino so that it does? There's 2 "sets" of info you can define, and switch between each by pressing "i" (a third press will also disable the display if the text laying over the image annoys you). I set it up to show SS/ISO/aperture and lens focal length for one, and image dimensions/date for the other.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm sure you saw it already but you can customize the information shown in the upper left text block inside the view options>show info overlay dialog box? From there you can select things like ISO, aperture, lens, etc. If you are not seeing the info you want- can't you just modify that sectino so that it does? There's 2 "sets" of info you can define, and switch between each by pressing "i" (a third press will also disable the display if the text laying over the image annoys you). I set it up to show SS/ISO/aperture and lens focal length for one, and image dimensions/date for the other.

Yes, I can get it to show exactly what I want, but it's in a large font that is superimposed upon the image while I'm working on it. I'd rather not have anything as an overlay; ideally, the information would be displayed somewhere else, away from the image. If I set the first overlay to "None," then at least the second and third are in a smaller font, but that font is still quite large and is still obscuring a significant part of my image.

I didn't know about the "i" command, however, and that is VERY helpful. So thank you very much for that tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.