Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Hello everyone, well it seems Adobe is now releasing an open for all Lightroom 3 public beta. I myself will try it out to see how does it compare to Aperture and now it makes me wonder, when will Aperture 3 come out in the market. Apple Aperture 3 need to be as good or better then Lightroom 3 in order to stay relevant to the market. Otherwise, I got nothing else to say.

Here is the link: Adobe Labs - Lightroom 3 Beta

Oh and anyone care to explain why the Mac version is half the size of Windows? (Thank god Im using Mac :D)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
"Lightroom has been rebuilt from its core to provide a performance architecture that meets the needs of photographers today and into the future."

That part sounds great. I'm at my wits end with Aperture and may jump ship to LR if Aperture 3 doesn't fix the bugs and performance problems. However, with 55,000 images now in my Aperture library, it would be painful migration.

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
I'm using it now. The catalouges do not migrate from Lightroom 2. So you have to start new ones or import them in. However any changes made to them will not come over to lightroom 3. It's a little bugy (as can be expected). There are some things I've seen that I like. The import panel looks great. They really tried to make it user friendly and I think it worked. There is a film grain option. The color noise reduction feature works great. I can't wait to get home and play with it some more.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I'm trying it out right now. The colour noise reduction works very well (too bad they disabled the luminance noise slider in the Beta); I would say based on my brief tests, that the colour noise reduction works as well as some of the 3rd party solutions I've used (predominantly Noiseware).

I like the new import window; the look takes a bit of getting used to, but I can now easily see where my imports are coming from and where they're going.

New post-crop vignetting tools are MUCH improved over LR2, where they were more or less useless.

The grain tool is fun, but I'm not sure how much I'll actually use it. The great thing about programs like Imagenomic Real Grain is that not only do you get film grain effects, but you also get tone curves and saturation settings that mimic (often very well) particular films. For instance, I often find myself using Real Grain's Kodak Portra 160VC (though I can get pretty close using LR alone).

The beta seems a bit sluggish on my Penryn MBP 2.5GHz with 4GB RAM, but it's a beta so this doesn't concern me that much.

All in all, looks like LR3 will be a nice upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.