Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John.B

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Lightroom 3 will be getting the same Lens Distortion Correction functionality that Photoshop CS5 now has: Preview of Lens Correction Solution for Camera Raw 6 and Lightroom 3 This according to Tom Hogarty (Adobe Lightroom Product Manager) and was posted on his blog moments ago!

And done non-destructively! W00t!

This is HUGE! If this works as well as advertised, I may finally be able to ditch DxO out of my convoluted workflow which would save me the time and aggravation, not to mention the wasted disk space that the DxO linear DNG files inflicted on me! :cool:

:apple:, are you paying attention? ;)

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Oh man finally! I used DxO a long time ago I think right at the end of v4 and the beginning of v5. I like it for its distortion correction features, but the terrible software design and absolutely botched release of v5 drove me away (to LR, in fact). I always missed the distortion correction features though. Now I can finally have that back.

With distortion correction included in LR3, I don't really see any need for PS in my photography anymore. I was planning on picking up CS5 when it came out but maybe I'll just pass.

Ruahrc

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Wow... this is huge. I would have bet against this appearing in LR3, since I'll probably never need Photoshop for anything now too.

Who wants to start the "Anyone switching from Aperture to Lightroom" thread? :D

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
First, as an aside, I'm growing very tired of Apple fanatics calling for the death of Adobe. I can't help but come to the conclusion that these are people who actually do not interact with the company or its products at ALL from a creator perspective.

That said, this video just enforces some of the exciting things coming out of Adobe labs! I'm very, very excited about CS5 for photographers. It's a huge jump. This body/lens profiling already existed from a French company that creates custom RAW conversion software, but it's nice to see it easily integrated with Adobe products.

I hope the new lens distortion option has also been upgraded in Photoshop: Filters: Lens Distortion.

Different from most people, I actually enjoy ACR not because of what all can be done at that stage, but because it helps me flatten the file out and have it ready to go through lots of selective masking in Photoshop. I'd be more out to do minimal photo editing in Lightroom, but the lack of absolute control over each edit and the ability to easily return to it later without sacrificing current edit stages is not appealing.

That said, CS5 marks an exciting time to be doing post-production!

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Is it geeky to have watched that preview video with a smile on my face!?

Yep!

And perfectly fine, too!

When I watched a video awhile back pointing out how Content Aware will work along with other new CS5 features, my face hurt from smiling so much. As soon as my girlfriend walked in, I quickly pulled her to the computer and replayed it again for her!

(guess I should add she's also a photographer)

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Yep!

And perfectly fine, too!

When I watched a video awhile back pointing out how Content Aware will work along with other new CS5 features, my face hurt from smiling so much. As soon as my girlfriend walked in, I quickly pulled her to the computer and replayed it again for her!

(guess I should add she's also a photographer)

I was thinking of buying SC4 Extended (student, faculty, & staff version), but now Lightroom looks real nice. Which in your view would be better for me? This is what I do: I use PSE8 to PP RAW and other photos, and it does a good job considering that it's relatively low-priced. I don't work with 3D files, so I don't need the Extended version.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
First, as an aside, I'm growing very tired of Apple fanatics calling for the death of Adobe. I can't help but come to the conclusion that these are people who actually do not interact with the company or its products at ALL from a creator perspective.

Don't forget the obvious - Adobe is a company that clearly wants feedback and seeks guidance from its users on new features that they want and don't want. It's almost unspeakable to think that Apple would respond explicitly to comments like Tom has, though I have to think that they take a limited amount of inspiration from their client base (aka "us").

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I was thinking of buying SC4 Extended (student, faculty, & staff version), but now Lightroom looks real nice. Which in your view would be better for me? This is what I do: I use PSE8 to PP RAW and other photos, and it does a good job considering that it's relatively low-priced. I don't work with 3D files, so I don't need the Extended version.

Well... Photoshop is great for people who want lots of control over local edits (I know Lightroom can do this, too, but it's limited). By the way, a local edit is doing something that only affects a portion of an image. This is in contrast to global edits, which affect the entire image. Masking is fantastic for meticulous editing. Plus if you intend to do any compositing, Photoshop is needed.

If you're happy with editing your images at the Camera Raw stage and find you rarely take your images beyond that into the actual Photoshop tools, Lightroom would be fine for you.

John.B

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Well I haven't seen any of that on this thread, but I'm not exactly willing to give Adobe a pass on things like Flash... Or the way they cut off camera raw support for previous versions that force you onto their upgrade bandwagon. (FWIW, :apple: has been doing the same thing lately with Aperture and it's camera raw updates.)

That said, this video just enforces some of the exciting things coming out of Adobe labs! I'm very, very excited about CS5 for photographers. It's a huge jump. This body/lens profiling already existed from a French company that creates custom RAW conversion software, but it's nice to see it easily integrated with Adobe products.
I've been using DxO for about a year. It's actually a very good product in terms of lens corrections, fixes for chromatic aberration, sharpening, etc. But the workflow is convoluted, and the updates to the Mac version have been slow to arrive and the dates regularly slip (v. 6 for Mac has been promised at the end of '09, 1st Qtr '10, Spring '10, May '10...)

The biggest potential advantage that I can see is that the Adobe version will allow you to generate (and share) your own lens correction profiles; anyone who has waited for DxO to get around to supporting a particular lens/camera combination knows how frustrating this can be.

I hope the new lens distortion option has also been upgraded in Photoshop: Filters: Lens Distortion.
The word is that the new lens correction process will be much more sophisticated -- easier to automate based on individual lens correction profiles and the EXIF data from your image (i.e. batch processing, processing on import, etc.)

For what most people do (myself included) Lightroom is going to have 90% of what you need. Unless you regularly do the type of PP that is Frankie's trademark or plan to use Photoshop on a professional basis, I'd go with Lightroom 3 when it ships, and keep using PSE 8 until you hit a hurdle that Elements can't clear.

Already I've been reading that there may be some issues with Photoshop CS4 directly editing Lightroom 3 files; this might require a somewhat kludgy export to an intermediate PSD or TIFF. (See my gripe above.) Before you buy an educational version of CS4, verify that you'll be able to get a free update to CS5 when it ships. Otherwise wait for the CS5 versions to hit the academic channels.

dcr

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2002

John.B

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Something everyone seems to overlook: The DNG converter (which is a free download) is always updated in sync with Camera Raw to support new cameras. This lets you batch convert your Raw file into a format that can be used in older software

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4678
OK, two things that need to be pointed out.

First, DNG isn't an "open" standard, it's just a documented one. Adobe holds veto rights on the more interesting parts of the DNG patents.

Second and more to the point, this is a problem with Adobe product versions and DNG isn't going to solve it. Think about how DNG is going to have to be incorporated into your workflow in this particular case. According to John Nack, you won't be able to pass an image "fixed" for lens distortion from Lr3 directly into Ps CS4, you'll have to export to TIFF or PSD first. It makes no difference if that raw was converted to DNG before going into Lr; apparently Ps CS4 won't be able to read the newer Lr3 (or Ps CS5) format.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Well... Photoshop is great for people who want lots of control over local edits (I know Lightroom can do this, too, but it's limited). By the way, a local edit is doing something that only affects a portion of an image. This is in contrast to global edits, which affect the entire image. Masking is fantastic for meticulous editing. Plus if you intend to do any compositing, Photoshop is needed.

If you're happy with editing your images at the Camera Raw stage and find you rarely take your images beyond that into the actual Photoshop tools, Lightroom would be fine for you.

I appreciate your answers. I have decided to pre-order CS5 Extended (educational edition). It should ship by mid May, and at $199.00 I just can't refuse the offer :)

Bosman

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
I appreciate your answers. I have decided to pre-order CS5 Extended (educational edition). It should ship by mid May, and at $199.00 I just can't refuse the offer :)

I ordered CS5 and according to my account info on my order it shows arrival to be April 29th, wooohooo!

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I ordered CS5 and according to my account info on my order it shows arrival to be April 29th, wooohooo!

The educational version is a heck of a good deal. I have to fax a picture of my school ID tomorrow before the order is processed. But I can wait a few days, since I want to buy around 4GB more from Crucial. This would put my iMac at 8GB RAM, which should be plenty for what I do with photos.

AriHuttunen

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
Wow... this is huge. I would have bet against this appearing in LR3, since I'll probably never need Photoshop for anything now too.

Who wants to start the "Anyone switching from Aperture to Lightroom" thread? :D

I wouldn't want to do that, I'll just switch from Aperture 2 to Lightroom 3. :D

'Switching' would be the wrong word, I guess, since I'll hardly ever move all current photos from Aperture to Lightroom.

My biggest need is support for Panasonic G1, but I really don't need face detection that works badly :eek:. Superior high ISO noise reduction and now this. No contest.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
OK, two things that need to be pointed out.

First, DNG isn't an "open" standard, it's just a documented one. Adobe holds veto rights on the more interesting parts of the DNG patents.

Adobe drop your right to use DNG if you take them to court. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

Second and more to the point, this is a problem with Adobe product versions and DNG isn't going to solve it. Think about how DNG is going to have to be incorporated into your workflow in this particular case. According to John Nack, you won't be able to pass an image "fixed" for lens distortion from Lr3 directly into Ps CS4, you'll have to export to TIFF or PSD first. It makes no difference if that raw was converted to DNG before going into Lr; apparently Ps CS4 won't be able to read the newer Lr3 (or Ps CS5) format.

True. Photoshop CS4 and lower will not support this correction information in DNGs. CS5 would work in the example you give.

CS4 and CS3 will however read DNG created in LR3 - just not correction information they don't implement. Seems like a fairly robust way of treating unsupported features. I've personally been loading EOS 550D DNG files (created in LR3 beta) into CS3 and they work fine.

Which competing product would support the workflow you're suggesting without first converting to a bitmap? At a certain point of development and implementation of new features, I don't think it's unreasonable for Adobe to ask for payment.

Binford

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
Boston, MA
Please forgive my ignorance, when is LR3 expected to come out?
Do you think it'll lose speed over the previous version as A3 has vs A2?

John.B

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Please forgive my ignorance, when is LR3 expected to come out?
Nobody even remotely close to Adobe will commit to a release date, not even off the record. Since it's not a CS product, it doesn't have to be released on a certain date synchronized to other applications. The current Lightroom 3 public beta 2 will expire on June 30, 2010. But that only means there could be a public beta 3 in the works (hopefully with the same built-in lens correction features in ACR 6.0 and with more camera models supported by tethering).

Short answer, those who know aren't saying.

Do you think it'll lose speed over the previous version as A3 has vs A2?
It doesn't seem slower to me, but most of my important (i.e. important to me) work is still in Lr 2. You can head over to Adobe Labs and download the Lr 3 beta for yourself for free. It installs alongside Lr 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.