Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
I'm considering purchasing a license for Lightroom 6, but I've become a little concerned at reports from Windows users that without a constant internet connection the software becomes hobbled. I'm also not entirely happy that I have to create an Adobe ID to activate the software initially.

Can any Lightroom 6 users enlighten me as to the day-to-day practicalities of activation and usage on a Mac that seldom has an active internet connection?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I'm considering purchasing a license for Lightroom 6, but I've become a little concerned at reports from Windows users that without a constant internet connection the software becomes hobbled. I'm also not entirely happy that I have to create an Adobe ID to activate the software initially.

Can any Lightroom 6 users enlighten me as to the day-to-day practicalities of activation and usage on a Mac that seldom has an active internet connection?
Are you talking about the Creative Cloud version of LR, the one that's only by subscription? Or are you talking about the stand-along LR 6? Or the Photoshop-LR only bundle?

If it's the CC LR, then the setup is that it (CC in general) checks once a month to see whether you're paid up. You're not aware of this, nor does it use much bandwidth.

If it's the stand alone version, then although it may check for updates, it doesn't need an internet connection to function.

I can't say anything about the PS-LR combo, but I think it must behave the same way that CC does.

I have CC and one standalone LR license. I've never noticed any problem with the stand-alone installation, which is active on one of my laptops.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you opt for the subscription based model, then LR will phone home once every 30 days to ensure you are still active. If you choose to cancel (or the computer cannot phone home), the edit module becomes read-only. Your photos are still safe, and accessible, you just cannot edit them.

The other licence model that is still available is the "perpetual" license. You buy that and it you can use the app without the monthly checking, though you I think you'll forgo the constant updates that the CC license provides.

Also I think version 6 will be the last version that you can buy the license, and future versions will be subscription based.

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
Hi,

Adobe's terminology specifies that the subscribed version of LR is called LR CC 2015, and the perpetual license is simply LR 6. So, I was referring to the latter (I've been raking through their KB for answers recently so it's all fresh in my mind ;) ).

@monokakata : thanks for telling me you haven't had issues with the LR 6 license on your laptop, that helps.

@maflynn : I think I heard LR 6 also loses a brush or two but nothing major. I can live without constant updates, though access to new lens correction modules would be good. I'm going to look into what you say about this being the last non-CC version---don't want lose this opportunity if it's true.

Thanks guys, I think I feel comfortable enough to add this to the shopping trolley.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Even the Creative Cloud version does not require you to be constantly connected. I believe it only needs a check once every 30 days or something like that, and connecting in less time than the whatever counter is will reset it...

Anyways, I have the CC version. I used to buy the perpetual license, but honestly since I was upgrading every version, the subscription actually makes sense.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
LR6 will require an Internet connection when serialized. If you install without an Internet connection it will run in the Trial mode for the next 30 days. At any time after installation that you have an Internet connection you can launch the app and serialize. You can do this even after the Trial period has expired. As I understand it, you will not need the Internet connection again unless you need to reinstall the application.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I used to buy the perpetual license, but honestly since I was upgrading every version, the subscription actually makes sense.
I didn't upgrade every version, so for me the price worked itself to be more expensive.

What tipped the scales in favor was the inclusion of PS. I don't use it much, but I do have a need. I had a very old version of PS, so it was nice to be current but even so at this point, I'm seriously rethinking my choice regarding the subscription.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.