Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
Hi,

Few month ago I invested in a NVMe M.2 ssd drive where I migrated most of my active Lightroom library.
This move was with the objective of accelerating a big the lack of speed I was experiencing back then.

With this new workflow I was expecting to get red of few latency I have in dev mode.
Back from holidays I've a bunch of images I have to post-process.
New pictures imported and smart preview generated, I started to work. And I was surprised how slow my computer was to load the file and throughout my work apply some basic filters (radial filter, graduated filter, adjustment brush).
For each modification I have to wait between 5 to 30s, before I can see the changes.
I also tried to create a new Lightroom library with one image, and even use a RamDisk as a source for the library. Same behaviour.
I've similar raw files on my 2014 rMBP and the experience was very different, smooth almost immediate.

Specifications:
  • Lightroom CC latest update + GPU acceleration activated, Camera raw cache 40GB, video cache 3GB, JPG preview setup as medium.
  • Nikon D850, Raw file (95MB per file).
  • 2014 rMBP 16GB, 512GB with 40Gb free space, nvidia 750m connected to 2 screens (1080p) running on macOS high sierra up to date. Cuda driver loaded, Nvidia web driver loaded but don't use it.
  • 2009 cMP 5.1 2x Xeon 5680, 96GB 1333Mhz, SATA SSD as a boot disk, NVMe M951 512GB for lightroom, Nvidia 980ti all running on the latest version of Sierra + Cuda and webdriver up to date.

I'm planning to do a test on Windows 10 to see how lightroom and the CG are handling some basic work.
Soon I will also try another CG Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX580 and install High Sierra.

Any idea of where this issue could come from?
Where should I look?

Thanks

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
the slow down is only on your cmp 4.1?
worth looking at activity monitor to see whats going on, no background apps killing your speed ect
may be worth disabling GPU acceleration (that used to slow things down)
clear catch data in preferences and thumbnails to see if that helps
i know it's sily to ask but you did format the drive the correct way?

apart from that im not shore, worth asking on the adobe forums or talking to there support too

im still on LR Cs6 and it's known to be slow

for speed i just use bridge & ACR it's always much much faster for me

(LR used to be lightly threaded and much more single core speed focused so your laptop may just have a faster CPU)

two-mac-jack

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2016
I have a cMP 5,1 with very similar specs to yours that I use for Lightroom CS6, including an SM951 (AHCI) for the catalog and image files that is different from the boot drive. I have a lot of large B&W film scans at about 12000 x 8000 pixels that are roughly 180 MB each, and DNG camera files at about 20 MB each. I definitely noticed a speed improvement after moving to the SM951 when working with very large files.

My graphics card is an AMD Radeon R9 280x. Library mode operations (like arrow-key back and forth through previews) are very fast. Develop mode operations are a mixed bag -- most are fast, but some like dust spotting with the Spot Removal brush can take around 3-5 seconds to apply on very large images if the "Use Graphics Processor" checkbox in Preferences > Performance is set. So I generally leave that unchecked, and then the slow operations become almost instantaneous. Basically if I'm doing a repetitive operation that seems slow, I will try checking or unchecking the GPU checkbox to see if it makes a difference. But I've never had any modification take up to 30 seconds as you describe.

If you have a very large screen (like 4K) that can also slow down Lightroom. I work at 2560 x 1440, with catalog settings for Auto preview size and Medium quality, and I do not use Smart Previews (although that is supposed to improve performance). I notice you're working at 1080p on the rMBP, maybe that's part of why it is more responsive.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi,

Few month ago I invested in a NVMe M.2 ssd drive where I migrated most of my active Lightroom library.
This move was with the objective of accelerating a big the lack of speed I was experiencing back then.

With this new workflow I was expecting to get red of few latency I have in dev mode.
Back from holidays I've a bunch of images I have to post-process.
New pictures imported and smart preview generated, I started to work. And I was surprised how slow my computer was to load the file and throughout my work apply some basic filters (radial filter, graduated filter, adjustment brush).
For each modification I have to wait between 5 to 30s, before I can see the changes.
I also tried to create a new Lightroom library with one image, and even use a RamDisk as a source for the library. Same behaviour.
I've similar raw files on my 2014 rMBP and the experience was very different, smooth almost immediate.

Specifications:
  • Lightroom CC latest update + GPU acceleration activated, Camera raw cache 40GB, video cache 3GB, JPG preview setup as medium.
  • 2014 rMBP 16GB, 512GB with 40Gb free space, nvidia 750m connected to 2 screens (1080p) running on macOS high sierra up to date. Cuda driver loaded, Nvidia web driver loaded but don't use it.
  • 2009 cMP 5.1 2x Xeon 5680, 96GB 1333Mhz, SATA SSD as a boot disk, NVMe M951 512GB for lightroom, Nvidia 980ti all running on the latest version of Sierra + Cuda and webdriver up to date.

I'm planning to do a test on Windows 10 to see how lightroom and the CG are handling some basic work.
Soon I will also try another CG Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX580 and install High Sierra.

Any idea of where this issue could come from?
Where should I look?

Thanks

Try disable GPU acceleration.

Reactions: orph

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. After bricking my High Sierra SSD because of a bad windows update I manage to unblock the boot to macOS X with a new fresh install.

Saying that, I took also the time to install the latest firmware 138..... to see if there were any difference, and no Improvement.
I also uncheck the GPU acceleration to compare and it was even worst. The only action to zoom in and out was slower.
Under Windows Lightroom seems to be way more faster even on a classic hard drive the simple modification was faster.

Last trial, I've received my AMD GPU RX580. and not yet tested. Let's see how this GPU handle Lightroom.

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
My test with the RX580 wasn't convincing.
All modification or additional effects I was applying to the picture took the same amount of time.

Very slow.

After all I've also tested the same library and pictures on my laptops I have (cMBP 2012 as per signature and the retina described above). It was worst than I thought.
I'm starting to think it is actually the current level of performance offered by Adobe for Mac user :( heavy files with few filters are enough to slow down the software.

What I learnt:
I took an original file unmodified and was fast.
I took an old raw file from a d700 and was super fast as well.

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Hi,

Specifications:

Adobe has somewhat muddled the word Lightroom. I am presuming that this is Lightroom Classic CC ( don't want to use the long either. :) ) . While the cMP has far more RAM Lightroom is is using it effectively.
[doublepost=1535224430][/doublepost]
After all I've also tested the same library and pictures on my laptops I have (cMBP 2012 as per signature and the retina described above). It was worst than I thought. I'm starting to think it is actually the current level of performance offered by Adobe for Mac user :( heavy files with few filters are enough to slow down the software.

Previously in original message the MBP was running OK. If that Library was OK, but a transferred Library copy is slow it may be time to do some maintenance on the Library (e.g,, "optimize Catalog" ).

Also some chance may be still trying to do things with import (even though looks 'done' ) in parallel with develop.

What I learnt:
I took an original file unmodified and was fast.
I took an old raw file from a d700 and was super fast as well.

( unmodified 850 ? so modified is 850 imported with 'standard' mods ? )

If smaller files are working substantively faster then you can use Activity Monitor utility to look at how much memory your filter workload is taking for those files and then run with your larger files. If Lightroom is using about the same memory for both then may need to look at the Lightroom cache settings. You may need to explicitly tell Lightroom to be a bigger memory hog. ( The Mac Pro has more memory so have space to grow. ). I don't think Lightroom will try to consume the whole machine automagically.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.