Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
In LightRoom, how can i apply all the work/settings done in the develop section from one image to a another? Is there something like a copy paste of filters/effects n stuff?

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
In LightRoom, how can i apply all the work/settings done in the develop section from one image to a another? Is there something like a copy paste of filters/effects n stuff?

um.... right click > develop settings > copy settings...then right click > develop settings > paste

Reactions: zoran

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Also it is in the Settings menu in Develop. You can go to the image you want the settings from, just select it so it appears on screen, then click to the one you want to put settings on and select Settings -> paste settings from previous

Or... If you have a series of images that are all the same and you want to apply settings in bulk, then go to your library thumbnail view. Click the master (the one with the settings you want) then hold Control (command on mac), and then select the images you want to apply the settings to. Once they are all selected, making sure the the first one selected was your master, then click the Sync button at bottom right and it will apply the settings to them all...

Hope this helps

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Now here is a hard one im trying to accomplish but its not working out. In my library i have a file named A.psd, to which i have apply many different effects n stuff. Then i rename that file from Finder and not LRoom. The new renamed file (ill call it B.psd) loses the history of all the develop changes that have been done to it, despite A.psd (the original file) is still found in the Library (but obviously not working).
So the problem is that i cannot copy the "develop stuff" i have applied to file A.psd in order to paste it to file B.psd.
I hope i have not mixed you up with this... anyone can help me round this issue?

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
Now here is a hard one im trying to accomplish but its not working out. In my library i have a file named A.psd, to which i have apply many different effects n stuff. Then i rename that file from Finder and not LRoom. The new renamed file (ill call it B.psd) loses the history of all the develop changes that have been done to it, despite A.psd (the original file) is still found in the Library (but obviously not working).
So the problem is that i cannot copy the "develop stuff" i have applied to file A.psd in order to paste it to file B.psd.
I hope i have not mixed you up with this... anyone can help me round this issue?

Could you just rename the file a.psd again. Maybe also a good idea to not to rename you files outside of LR again.

You can always export a copy of needed or duplicate the file within LR

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks TheDrift-, i wonder is it possible to "copy developed stuff" from different photos in order to combine them in one?

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013

You should be able to apply the develop setting to the renamed file: Locate missing photos

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Also, you can develop a file in LR, then select it in library and right click, create virtual copy. It will create a new copy of the updates made to the file in the catalog as another "file" but there wont be another file.on the filesystem. You can then make further develop edits to the new "file" without affecting the original.

Do you know how the LR catalog and underlying filesystems work? How the non destructive changes a tracked and applied in LR? If you google that it may help you better understand the reason why renaming a file outside LR exhibits the behaviour it does.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What really scares me the sh#t out of me, is the day i will make a clean installation and upgrade from Yosemite to HighSierra. How is LR gonna migrate then, and keep all the history of the files that have been developed from the Library!

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
What really scares me the sh#t out of me, is the day i will make a clean installation and upgrade from Yosemite to HighSierra. How is LR gonna migrate then, and keep all the history of the files that have been developed from the Library!
Backup your Lr catalog files to external storage (I would make two separate copies in two in different locations) then copy the catalog files back after your clean installation. Your entire edit history is stored in the lrcat file. If you have more than one catalog, make sure you get them all.

If you're not sure where your catalog files are: Lr menu bar>Catalog Settings>General tab. If you change the location of the catalog files with the clean install, no worries, Lr will ask for the location anyway.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.