Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hiya folks...
Got a question for ya'll.

For a while I've been using both Aperture and LightRoom to manage my photos on my little ole MBP, often I choose to shoot in RAW format because allows for more control in the editing room (so-to-speak).

However in recent times I'm running low on HD space and managing two separate libraries have become annoying. Personally, I don't think either application is particularly bad, both have it's strong points, useful plug-ins and of course some minor annoyances. I however would like your opinion as to which I should adopt and use as my primary application. Maybe in the long run I can save money via licensing too?

Care to specify why you'd choose one application over the other... At the moment I'm tempted to stick with LightRoom mostly due to easy of integration with the rest of the CS Suite - perhaps this is a lame excuse?

Oh FYI, I'm more of a graphic designer than a photographer, maybe boarding on amateur or hobbyist?

Thanks.. :):)

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Please search the forums, there have been about a dozen threads on this topic.

To summarize them all, it's personal preference, download the trial of both and see which you prefer.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
It's likely which ever you use first will be the one you end up preferring :)

lol My work windows laptop just blue screened. Sorry off topic comment.

I personally wouldn't buy Aperture right now, I think it is due for a version 2 release that will make it really surpass Lightroom.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Please search the forums, there have been about a dozen threads on this topic.

To summarize them all, it's personal preference, download the trial of both and see which you prefer.

Yep, thanks for the pointer.... there are way tooo many threads! Though many seems to be aimed towards hardware requirements than application usage than plug-in availability and support. Silly me, just assumed that there might be some people whom have more useful opinions now, perhaps due to experience? you know?

I'm kinda thinking both Apple and Adobe launched their applications into the arena cause there's a demand and a gap for it.. however, i'm sure they're both aimed at different users? no?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Yep, thanks for the pointer.... there are way tooo many threads! Though many seems to be aimed towards hardware requirements than application usage than plug-in availability and support. Silly me, just assumed that there might be some people whom have more useful opinions now, perhaps due to experience? you know?

I'm kinda thinking both Apple and Adobe launched their applications into the arena cause there's a demand and a gap for it.. however, i'm sure they're both aimed at different users? no?

No, they're pretty much direct competitors, aiming at the same market. You'll pretty much find an even split here as to which one people prefer. But seriously, download the 30 day trial of each and try them out, and see which one appeals more to your way of doing things

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
No, they're pretty much direct competitors, aiming at the same market. You'll pretty much find an even split here as to which one people prefer. But seriously, download the 30 day trial of each and try them out, and see which one appeals more to your way of doing things

Oh, thanks for the suggestion but I been using them both for a while on commercial licenses (perhaps you missed that in my op) though, I'm kinda split between them both.... :confused:

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Oh, thanks for the suggestion but I been using them both for a while on commercial licenses (perhaps you missed that in my op) though, I'm kinda split between them both.... :confused:

Ah, missed that.

I guess if there is any major difference between them is that Aperture has great connection with the iLife apps, whereas Lightroom has closer ties to Photoshop.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
If you are accustomed to the workflow, mannerisms, and design of Photoshop and also like it, you will probably do well with Lightroom (both from Adobe).

With Aperture you are more free to experiment with the workflow. Which can be both good and bad.

You can get a student discount on either one, if that applies to you.

I've recently taken to editing my RAWs mostly in Photoshop Camera Raw, which I think is more useful than both Lightroom and Aperture, but slightly more awkward of a workflow until you get used to it.

And not to pile on the bandwagon - but yeah, we see these exact threads at least once a week. :)

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Adobe© LightRoom all the way.

I have Aperture, but I would suggest that you go LightRoom. More than once, people have been stuck dead in the water because of lack of camera support on Aperture. In fact, it still does not support Nikon D3 and D300s. In the past, it took ages for them to support some of the higher end Canons, and let's not even begin with the Leica's.

If you are a serious photographer that requires zero down time in regard to your workflow, you will be out to sea with Aperture. The service is other than professional.

Go Adobe© LightRoom

Mark Morb

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2007
Norfolk
Well, I have been a Lightroom user on the PC for a few months. I bought a mac for the first time last week and eagerly installed Aperture on it......two days later I've gone back to Lightroom. It has a bit more control over the development settings and I prefer the layout, all IMHO of course :)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I have Aperture, but I would suggest that you go LightRoom. More than once, people have been stuck dead in the water because of lack of camera support on Aperture. In fact, it still does not support Nikon D3 and D300s. In the past, it took ages for them to support some of the higher end Canons, and let's not even begin with the Leica's.

If you are a serious photographer that requires zero down time in regard to your workflow, you will be out to sea with Aperture. The service is other than professional.

Go Adobe© LightRoom

Hiya Helix,
This is exactly the kind of stuff I like to know, thanks for sharing.

I guess, having the backing of Adobe sure does sound positive, particularly since image manipulation/creation is their primary process. All to often, it seems so many users who reply on those threads simply look at GUI, comparing the users friendliness of various applications, most seems don't discuss what it can or can't support...

Well, I have been a Lightroom user on the PC for a few months. I bought a mac for the first time last week and eagerly installed Aperture on it......two days later I've gone back to Lightroom. It has a bit more control over the development settings and I prefer the layout, all IMHO of course :)

Hello Mark,
Thanks for your thoughts, opinions is what I'm asking for... It seems there are too many people on this forum who are too eager to persuade another into using another without first saying why. I have to agree on the intuitive layout and usefulness of the settings...

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I have to agree on the intuitive layout and usefulness of the settings...
I am of the opposite opinion: Aperture is a lot more intuitive to me.
Point is: whether you prefer one or the other program is completely up to you. No matter how many people with opinions weigh in, will change this.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
I agree with everyone here that it is personal preference, and my preference is Lightroom.

I have over 10,000 photos that I manage in Lightroom, and that number is growing rapidly. I like the way it is laid out, how it manages my files, and how it works with Photoshop. I also make a lot of online photo galleries with it's "web" feature.

I have tried Aperture, and it seemed sluggish an non intuitive to me. Not to say it's not right for others, it's just not right for me.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I am of the opposite opinion: Aperture is a lot more intuitive to me.
Point is: whether you prefer one or the other program is completely up to you. No matter how many people with opinions weigh in, will change this.

Right on that note. People will try to sway you one way or the other because they feel that they have to justify their purchases and prove that they have the better software. I have used both extensively, starting out with Aperture, switching to Lightroom, and switching back to Aperture and can tell you that both of them SUCK!

You are better off going with Bridge CS3 and Photoshop, or Photo Mechanic and Photoshop instead of using two applications that are filled with many issues. I use Aperture now because I need integration with Mac OS X and the other applications that are run on my computer, something Lightroom may never do. If I didn't need the integration and I was going strictly on a feature by feature basis the facts are that Aperture would still beat LR hands down.

If I were going on which app edits better and more precisely and effectively both would lose. LR has a slight advantage but it pales in comparison to just toning in Photoshop. People will tell you that LR edits more like PS but it's just not true. Ease of use... LR wins, but that's a problem. It locks you into it's system/workflow, and you can't escape. LR's module system is for beginners or shooters that just don't change the way they edit/tone. If you change your method of shooting then LR will get on your nerves!

Library organization... Aperture wins hands down no questions asked. Adobe dropped the ball here.

Backups and Library management... both win, and prove that they are very similar. Once Aperture got referenced libraries as a feature it moved up a notch above LR.

System Requirements... LR. The app doesn't have as much features as Aperture but it may slow down your system depending on the size or your library. Aperture gets slow when your large library file gets too large, so reference your images and that may help.

Offline Editing... neither application does this and it's a feature I pray one of them adds in version 2.0 software. I have a feeling that Aperture may gain it first since many users are leaving their libraries somewhere else because they are just too big. It'd be nice to edit the image via it's (no metadata) stripped down preview then apply the changes when the master becomes available.

Take your pick my friend. If you are savy in workflow creation then you may not need either application, only a large drive to hold all of your images and Bridge or Photo Mechanic and Photoshop. Find what you need then make your choice... for me, it was system integration with Final Cut Pro, iLife, and iWork and only Aperture provided that. Second, it was the ability to adapt and work how I wanted the app to work, another thing that Aperture did well. For some, it's working like an Adobe app, or working on a PowerPC machine.

Take your pick and good luck!

p.s. i am about to redo my workflow yet again for a more robust system of photo/graphic/video management. I am considering using LR on my tower (Mac Pro soon :) ) and using Aperture on my main machine, a soon to be updated 17" MBP. Mainly because I am not buying two copies of Aperture and I use both machines over a network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.