Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kman79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Hello everyone, I've been playing with Lightroom and my D80 for a few weeks now. I'm unable to put as much time as I want to into this hobby due to Nursing School and work. I did do a search but was still unable to find a post that relates to me question, if this has been asked before, please excuse my ignorance.

I have found that most of the time, I'm quite satisfied using the NEF image and adjusting the colors myself, but there are some times that I absolutely would rather have the image look like the way it does on my viewfinder on my D80, which is the JPEG image. So because of this, I've started taking pictures in NEF+JPEG, while it has taken up more space on my SD card, I love the convenience of having both files.

I've imported these files into my Lightroom library, and while I do see both files in the folder when using Finder, onlyl the NEF files shows up in my Lightroom library. Is there anyway for Lightroom to show both the NEF and JPEG image in my Library?

I've tried checking "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as seperate photos", but what it does is rename the JPEG file different from the NEF Duplicate, and this doesn't flow well with how I have my Library organized, which is custom name + sequence. By Checking the above the NEF image would be named XXX-1.NEF and the same JPEG image would be XXX-2.JPEG, I'd like to keep them the same name with just their extension differentiating them, but still have both show up in my Lightroom Library.

Is what I'm asking possible to do? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
I'm having the same problem too with my Canon when shooting RAW + JPEG. In LR, it just shows up as one icon and some caption to the effect of "1 of 2." I still haven't figured out how to show the JPEG underneath it. I'd like to know the solution too, if there is one.

carlbs

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Raw and JPG

Good News... all you have to do is to set up the preference and everything works fine.
Go to Preference / Import and the check the box that say "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos"

Have Fun!

Carl Schellenberg

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
Can I ask why use both? I just shoot NEF from my D80 and have never seen any advantages for using NEF + JPEG as when I import them to Lightroom the NEF goes on an external hard drive and it makes a jpeg for my internal hard drives database, that works just fine for my work flow.

kman79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Good News... all you have to do is to set up the preference and everything works fine.
Go to Preference / Import and the check the box that say "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos"

I've tried doing it this way, and it does show both on the filmstrip preview pane at the bottom, but it does not give the same NEF and JPEG files the same numerical number. An NEF and a JPEG File can have the same name since the extensions are different.

Can I ask why use both? I just shoot NEF from my D80 and have never seen any advantages for using NEF + JPEG as when I import them to Lightroom the NEF goes on an external hard drive and it makes a jpeg for my internal hard drives database, that works just fine for my work flow.

More of a personal preference, I sometimes prefer the JPEG image and it saves time in lightroom since I no longer have to make adjustments to the image. I also keep my NEF files on an external, the JPEG images that I like, or family and friends like, stay on the internal drive of my MBP. Main reason why I do NEF+JPEG, is because family and friends like the high contrast look of the JPEG files, and they aren't too "sensitive" about color accuracy, they just like how the image "Pops", much like how most people prefer the overly saturated and bright colors of Television Displays on a showroom floor. It makes it easier when they ask for a copy of a picture, I can just give them the JPEG version which they normally think is best. Don't get me wrong, I see the value of the NEF files, and I do use that mostly. I'm just an amateur who takes pictures for leisure, so I'm not quite well versed in photo manipulation, although, with time permiting, I would like to get more experience with it. At the same time, I would like to have both images on the library preview pane if possible.

Wait, I just reread your response. I may be assuming too much here, but the way I read your last sentence makes it see like Lightroom can be set to import NEF files and JPEG files to different storage devices? Do you move the NEF images manually to the external and then Lightroom shows and saves the JPEG images in the internal? Or are you saying you process it and then save it as JPEG in lightroom? Excuse my ignorance.

I appreciate the responses guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.