Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drizzt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
This may be a dmb question, but what RAW formats are supported by Lightroom? Is it the same as Adobe's Camera RAW support list? What is Camera RAW anyway? Does it plug into Lightroom?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Drizzt said:
What is Camera RAW anyway? Does it plug into Lightroom?

I don't mean to be belittling, so don't be offended- But to apply the cliche saying...

"If you don't know what it is, you don't need to worry about it".

Camera RAW is the file created by your camera's sensor BEFORE being compressed to JPEG. These files are uncompressed (on most cameras), have no white balance applied to them, have more pixel depth, and allow much more headroom for post alteration. If you shoot in RAW, you can adjust almost any small to medium exposure issues you had, get a much broader range for white balance adjustment, and overall just have more legroom. However, as these are uncompressed, they tend to be quite large. A RAW file from a 12mpx Nikon D2X is 20mb.

Drizzt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
So instead of releasing a new version of each of their applications every time they want to update RAW formats, they release one plug in that works with all their applications?

That's what Apple should do with Aperture.:D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Drizzt said:
So instead of releasing a new version of each of their applications every time they want to update RAW formats, they release one plug in that works with all their applications?

That's what Apple should do with Aperture.:D

You're right and that's what Apple does. With Apple the raw conversion s done by a part of Mac OSX called "Core Image". All OSX applications share this. So when Apple updates Core Image iPhoto and preview get to use the new conversons and if you have Aperture it can use them too.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
jared_kipe said:
Seriously? A RAW file from the 16mpx Canon 1Ds II is less than 15mb.

Then Canon must use a little bit more compression than Nikon. I completely uncomression raw file would have 12 bits for every photo senitive site on the CCD. (I'd say per pixel, but raw files don't contain pixels.) Uncompressed at 12MP camera would have 18MB of data and 16MP camera would have 24MB or data. I think Nikon adds a JPG thumbnail to each raw file and some other data too. Canon must compress the data

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.