Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lightroom vs. Aperture

• Adobe Lightroom

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Apple Aperture

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters

thebrain74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I am going to get one of these two programs to manage my photos. I just don't know which one. I have heard that lightroom runs faster while aperture has more features. Both look good, and I just wanted your guys' reactions/experiences with them. I will be using jpegs, and probably running a low end C2D MBP with 2gig ram

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Try them out. But I'll say mainly the only reason I've stuck with Aperture is because of FlickrExport, which I absolutely love.

Lightroom runs much better and I think if there was a FlickrExport for Lightroom, I might go with that.

But that being said, Aperture's lack of a dedicated workflow is pretty good as well. :)

In conclusion....just go try the trials. It's your choice which one you pick, not ours. :D

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I could really use something like this Aperture plugin in Lightroom. I preferred Lightroom when I tried the trials of each, but this plugin has me thinking that I may have to go with Aperture.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
I could really use something like this Aperture plugin in Lightroom. I preferred Lightroom when I tried the trials of each, but this plugin has me thinking that I may have to go with Aperture.

Forgive me for not going and looking (I'm not at my home machine), but my recollection was that Lightroom was very FTP-friendly, whereas Aperture was proverbially "hardwired" into .mac? As such (and if my recollections are correct), this would mean that a plugin is a necessity for Aperture to make it equivalent to Lightroom...I'd hardly then claim that to be a 'feature'.

-hh

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Well, since I haven't posted on any of the other threads.... :D

Aperture:
Flexible 'workflow'
Fancy web gallery, book, etc. creation
Generally better organizer, I find it's easier to sort my incoming photos
Multiple monitor support -- very nice, and incredibly useful to LR/Aperture's main job of photo management, so I'm sure the next update to LR will have this

Lightroom:
Seems generally better at developing, as you might expect from Adobe
I love how it provides automatic smart sorting for shots by lens, camera, etc.
I like the B/W conversion options -- seems much easier and more flexible in LR than Aperture

Ultimately, I chose Aperture, but it was an agonizing choice. I hope in the next versions they rip off each other's best features and gain the ability to import each other's libraries, at least to an extent. :p I'd also like to see at least Aperture and iPhoto play more nicely together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.