Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I've been looking for a small compact tripod (but extends to a reasonable size, none of this table top nonsense :)), something very lightweight but also strong enough for an SLR with a zoom lens given the need.

The only tripod I've seen which fits this requirement is the Manfrotto 785B seen here:

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-manfrotto-785b-modo-maxi-tripod.htm

However, upon closer inspection its nearly exactly what with its physical attributes but its load capacity is only 1kg! :)

So my question is, does anybody know or use a tripod which weighs under a kilo but yet take a heavy weight? I'll consider price later.
Thanks guys.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
You are talking about the ultimate dream of photographers- light weight tripod that will support everything there is to support. There are a few option out there that will fulfill those needs, and they ain't cheap. Carbon fiber legs are expensive, and those actually worth the money are even more expensive.

This will work. It weighs 1.2kgs and will support up to 8kg of gear. Do yourself a favor and don't look at the price. It might shock you.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
If your criteria are lightweight, stable, ability to carry maybe 5kg or so with a reasonable extended length be prepared to pay for a carbon fiber tripod. Gitzo is pretty much the gold standard.. but there are several other brands making very good and more affordable CF tripods out there.

I purchased a CT-3442 carbon fiber tripod and CB-50D head made by Feisol. Instead of typing everything again, please see my post at DPreview.com...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=26169853

Reviews for Feisol tripods have been very positive, which is what led me to my purchase. I can now attest to their quality.

Here are a couple photos of the thing.

p197858353-4.jpg

p30334530-4.jpg

p65198580-4.jpg

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've been looking for a small compact tripod (but extends to a reasonable size, none of this table top nonsense :)), something very lightweight but also strong enough for an SLR with a zoom lens given the need.

The only tripod I've seen which fits this requirement is the Manfrotto 785B seen here:

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-manfrotto-785b-modo-maxi-tripod.htm

However, upon closer inspection its nearly exactly what with its physical attributes but its load capacity is only 1kg! :)

So my question is, does anybody know or use a tripod which weighs under a kilo but yet take a heavy weight? I'll consider price later.
Thanks guys.

You want light weight, strong and low cost but in the real world you can pick only two of these. If you are prepared to pay the price Gitzo makes some carbon fiber legs you might want. In general Gitzo has very good strength to weight ratio even the steel legs are better then the Manfrotto. I think you are looking at roughly $600 or more if you want a first rate ball head to go with the legs.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I recently bought the Velbon 640, another carbon fiber tripod. On top I put the Acratech GV2 head. Wow, what change from my cheap aluminum tripod. I've found that my lens isn't really that bad. Where I used to blame poor focus or poor glass was really a cheap tripod. When the camera is held solidly in place your pictures improve dramatically. I went for the carbon fiber tripod as I like to take pictures while hiking and I didn't want to carry a 20 or 30lb tripod with me.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
Give ebay seller amvona.com a look. They sell some carbon fiber legs that are pretty good stability wise and they can hold a ton. I have a set that I got for $65 shipped or something crazy. You just have to be patient and not get into a bidding war. Pair it up with the head of your choice and it's a lightweight inexpensive, yet sturdy rig. It's no gitzo, but it's a hell of a lot better than the equivalently priced Walmart junk.

Edit: I think these are what I got: http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=2125

Although I'm not sure. They're in a closet and I dont feel like digging them out.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
You want light weight, strong and low cost but in the real world you can pick only two of these. If you are prepared to pay the price Gitzo makes some carbon fiber legs you might want. In general Gitzo has very good strength to weight ratio even the steel legs are better then the Manfrotto. I think you are looking at roughly $600 or more if you want a first rate ball head to go with the legs.

I didn't say I wanted low cost dude. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
While many believe that a $30 tripod holding their camera is "fine" you will one day notice it's not so fine. Between the slight pressure you place on it when you press the shutter to a slight wind trying to cut around it, you'll notice. A tripod is a long term investment. You'll undoubtedly only have to buy one and you won't have to revisit that purchase again if it is good. Perhaps not ever, but at least for a fair amount of time. So yes, the $30 tripod works, but it's not as sturdy as you think it is.

And that's without a head... :D
Head is expensive.
I didn't say I wanted low cost dude. :)
Yeah I didn't think you did either. Obviously most have recommended carbon fiber. Really there's not much wiggle room when you want sturdy+light. I believe you can also find them used. An old photographer friend of mine picked up what I believe was a $900 tripod + head from some random garage sale for $50. He used it for an 8x10 view camera and seemed pleased with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.