Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vanillak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2016
Hello. I live in an off grid home which is powered by batteries, solar panels, and a generator. I was told I should get a line conditioner to protect my iMac. I don't want to get a UPS. I'm not worried about blackouts, only brown outs. Many times during the day when a powerful appliance is turned on or when the generator turns on the lights dim and all the clocks are reset. My computer never shuts down during this but I know it's not good for it. Would a line conditioner protect it from this kind of thing?

I was looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-L...0000512LA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Tripp Lite LC1200 Line Conditioner 1200W AVR Surge 120V 10A 60Hz 4 Outlet 7-Feet Cord
  • Protects sensitive electronics, computer accessories and home theater equipment from power-related damage and performance problems
  • Advanced automatic voltage regulation corrects brownouts and overvoltages
  • Powerful 1200-joule surge protection rating
  • 1200W power capacity; 4 AC outlets; 7-ft cord

If I got this line conditioner would it be safe for my iMac and actually protect it from the brown outs?

It's confusing trying to learn about this stuff. I always read how everyone should have a UPS, but I rarely see anything about line conditioners.

Thank you

Edit: my Mac is a late 2013 27". I couldn't change the thread title.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.