Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoannaCW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
I have a MacBook Pro 1,2 with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor and 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I'm starting to have software compatibility issues and would like to extend the machine's life by installing Linux--on a partition, to start with; perhaps later I'll get rid of OS X. I've partitioned the HD using rEFInd.

I checked on another forum and was told that a lighweight distro like Xubuntu should work well on my machine. I installed Xubuntu 16.04, but that's not working out too well--every time it goes to sleep the screen goes to black and won't light up again on waking. (Lots of detail on that here:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ub...tu-16-04-screen-stays-dark-after-sleep-2.html)

In the course of troubleshooting I've been told that Xubuntu doesn't officially support my machine. So now I'm trying to figure out what would be a beter distro.

I've heard that Mint is a good distro for Mac users. But http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3051 states that 32-bit Mint can only boot with BIOS not EFI. I understand that my Intel Core Duo processors require me to install 32-bit not 64-bit software. I think I have read elsewhere that EFI is what Macs use to boot--that BIOS is not an option. So I am quite confused.

Have any of you run Linux on a 32-bit MacBook Pro? Any advice greatly appreciated.

craig1024

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
I would recommend checking out Linux mint cinnamon, it's a great fast OS that's pretty light on resources and has excellent hardware support. www.linuxmint.com

Edit fixed link

JoannaCW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
Thank you both. I like the sound of these.
Has anyone here run any form of Linux o a Macbook Pro 1,2, or any 32-bit Core Duo processor Mac? I ask because I am trying to figure out whether I'm having wakeup problems because of a bug in the particular distro I'm using or because my hardware doesn't properly support the suspend/hibernate functions offered in Linux code generally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.