Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkdroid13

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2019
Hello users,

This question may be offtopic here, but i need your kind suggestions. I am now going to reinstall an operating system in my computer.
I had Windows 10 earlier. Now I am thinking to use Linux. I have not used it before so I have a few doubts.

Will it be difficult to use and understand Linux?
Will Linux be faster than Winodows 10?

Thanks

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hello users,

This question may be offtopic here, but i need your kind suggestions. I am now going to reinstall an operating system in my computer.
I had Windows 10 earlier. Now I am thinking to use Linux. I have not used it before so I have a few doubts.

Will it be difficult to use and understand Linux?
Will Linux be faster than Winodows 10?

Thanks
No, many distro's of Linux are very easy to use and operate much the same way as macOS or Windows. Generally speaking, yes, Linux is much faster than Windows. If you choose a distro that uses the KDE Plasma desktop it will be a little heavier drain on resources (because it comes with a ton of bells and whistles) than the Gnome or XFCE desktops, but as long as you have a modern computer it will run great. Here are a few videos on some distro's I'd recommend to a new user. Have a look.

In no particular order:
(A couple of these I linked to a few minutes into the video)
  • Elementary Linux
  • Mint
  • MX Linux
  • Ubuntu
  • Pop!_OS

Last edited:

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Oh, I also just remembered this website I discovered a few days ago.

https://librehunt.org/

It's a simple site that asks a potential new Linux user a few simple questions and then at the end displays several distro's to try. It's also worth a look.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What would be the easiest one to put Nord Vpn on? or are they all just as hard to get Vpn on?;)
I'm not familiar with that VPN service enough to know. You should read their instructions and FAQ for setting it up on Linux. It should have some kind of detailed documentation on how to do it.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
What would be the easiest one to put Nord Vpn on? or are they all just as hard to get Vpn on?;)
I literally searched for nordvpn linux and came to their page with help for Linux users. It looks as though their help is written for something Debian based, but the actual VPN software they recommend is available for pretty much all modern operating systems.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I'm not familiar with that VPN service enough to know. You should read their instructions and FAQ for setting it up on Linux. It should have some kind of detailed documentation on how to do it.
It all seems very comlecated to me.;)i could not evan get the VPM i had before i got Nord PIA tried everything to get it on my Mac it was straight forward on my old Windows PC.But with Nord downloaded it and it was all running,no useing
I literally searched for nordvpn linux and came to their page with help for Linux users. It looks as though their help is written for something Debian based, but the actual VPN software they recommend is available for pretty much all modern operating systems.
[doublepost=1566076072][/doublepost]I do but it is all very confusing to me.:(

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
(...) the KDE Plasma desktop it will be a little heavier drain on resources (because it comes with a ton of bells and whistles) than the Gnome(...)

By and large I agree, except for above part. This may have been true in years prior, but not any more. I even saw comparisons where Plasma's memory footprint proved quite a bit smaller compared to Gnome.
All in all its probably a question of taste.

@OP: don't forget to have a look on OpenSuSE. IMO most professionally carried out distro out there. By far best configuration tool, so if you're inexperienced, consider this one. Plus (make sure to download the DVD) it includes all the major desktop environments - you can, if you so desire, install them all in parallels and switch without restarting, by just selecting the desired DE on the login screen.

Maybe an option to just try and see - install OpenSuSE and then have a look at the plethora of DEs, one at a time.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
[doublepost=1566323832][/doublepost]That is very true. Mikael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.