Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonaldLynd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
St. Pete/Tampa, FL
I am not sure why in CS3 my liguify filter is lagging so bad. I have 3 gb ram, and the new Al imac with the 2.4. My settings are to let photo shop use 75% of available ram, 20 in the history, and six in cashe. Any one have any tips for me? Everything else seems to be up to speed.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
I have a Mac Pro Octo-core with 9GB of RAM and trust me, it lags even for me. Granted it's really, really bad on my MacBook Pro and I just wish that Adobe would either correct it for Leopard or add multi-core support.

~Crawn

DonaldLynd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
St. Pete/Tampa, FL
So I went to my brothers house today and realized he was running Leopard on his MB. So I asked if I could try liquefy. I gave it a run and it was more than fine. Checked his settings, and from what I can tell, they are are the same as mine. He only has two gb of ram also.... He asked if I tried reinstalling Leopard, but I figured with all the updates it shouldn't be an issue. Any more ideas?

farmboydigital

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
Same Problem

I have the same problem on a new Mac Pro 3.0 Quad-Core 4GB Ram running on Leopard 10.5.1. CS3 is updated to 10.0.1. When using the liquify filter it lags so much. My macbook pro performs in real time compared to this. Does any one have a suggestion? It is really stressing me out as this machine should scream.

farmboydigital

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
Solved!

Figured out teh problem. I disabled Enable Hardware Acceleration... Restarted CS3, Enabled It & Restarted and all is well now... Very Fast!!!
/jason/

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Also, make sure you let PhotoShop cache the document into the Liquify filter before you start messing around. You can see the progress of the caching indicated by a little progress bar filling up in the bottom corner of the Liquify window.
If you try and paint before this is complete (can take a bit of time if your document is very large) it will stutter quite a bit.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
Here's a tip for super-fast liquify performance on high resolution images.

Open the huge image you wish to liquify and "save as"; choose a new name.
Reduce the size of the image to 25% or so; make it no larger than 640x480 @ 72dpi.
Now liquify it. The process will run very smoothly on this relatively small image.
In the liquify dialog, choose "save mesh".
Close the dialog, then open your original high resolution image.
Open the liquify dialog, and choose "load mesh".
Choose the mesh you just saved.
The liquify settings from the low-rez image will be applied to the hi-rez image.

Paulak

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
CS3 Liquify

I just found this thread, and am having major issues with Liquify running Leopard and CS3 .. I checked, and cannot uncheck the button on preferences ..
I never had problems with his before .. ( running in Tiger) Anyone else have suggestions or experiences with this issue ?

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
I just found this thread, and am having major issues with Liquify running Leopard and CS3 .. I checked, and cannot uncheck the button on preferences ..
I never had problems with his before .. ( running in Tiger) Anyone else have suggestions or experiences with this issue ?

Do you have CS3 Basic or Extended?

I found that if you get CS3 Basic that you don't get the option!

~Crawn

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
He's referring to OpenGL 3D hardware acceleration in PSE prefs.

I can't imagine why this would matter with regard to running Liquify, or 90% of the other functions/filters commonly used in Photoshop.
It's for manipulating imported 3D models.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I can't imagine why this would matter with regard to running Liquify, or 90% of the other functions/filters commonly used in Photoshop.
It's for manipulating imported 3D models.

I've actually read through the Open GL Docs. Just checking,... my copy of the "Red Book" is from 1993

Open GL does a lot more then just moving 3D objects. I could likely implement any kind of filter that you could precisely describe in Open GL.

My guess is that there is some small part of OpenGL that is poorly implemented on some Apple Macs. It5 may be such a small bit that it has gone un-noticed. CS3 appearently has tow implementations of the filter one hat uses Open GL and one that does not.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
I've actually read through the Open GL Docs. Just checking,... my copy of the "Red Book" is from 1993

Open GL does a lot more then just moving 3D objects. I could likely implement any kind of filter that you could precisely describe in Open GL.

My guess is that there is some small part of OpenGL that is poorly implemented on some Apple Macs. It5 may be such a small bit that it has gone un-noticed. CS3 appearently has tow implementations of the filter one hat uses Open GL and one that does not.

Sorry, but this is incorrect.
While it's true that floating point filter previews can be implemented using OSX CoreImage, this is not the case in PSE.
3D hardware acceleration in PSE targets the 3D layer API.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I have a Mac Pro Octo-core with 9GB of RAM and trust me, it lags even for me. Granted it's really, really bad on my MacBook Pro and I just wish that Adobe would either correct it for Leopard or add multi-core support.

~Crawn
I thought photoshop was core aware. I don't think all CS3 apps are but I thought photoshop was.

At any rate, I wonder if this link will be of use to anyone.

Liquify seems to be an intensive tool and it can take a moment to process. I don't get any lag while I am using it (appears 'real time') but when it returns the liquify result on a very high res image it can take anywhere from a few to several seconds. I'm using a Mac Pro 2.8 Octo core and leopard, for what it's worth. <shrug>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.