Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Not sure if this is the right place for this topic but I recently got my mac mini 2018, i7 and also bought an eGPU (Razer Core X with a Radeon Rx 580). Very happy so far, no issues at all. Running super stable since more than 3 weeks now...so far so good. :)

Now, while MacOS seems to be more responsive (resizing windows, opening pictures, etc), so far I have only found a few apps that seem to drastically improve the experience of having an eGPU: e.g. Final Cut Pro X, which is now a lot faster and far more responsive.

I also wanted to try out some games and bought „Rise of the Tomb Raider“ which is optimized for eGPUs. It‘s running very smoothly, even in high to ultra settings. There are some other games that seem to have improved framerates a bit, but as they are not fully optimized for eGPUs, the difference in performance isn‘t that huge, which is a bummer.

I know there are some other apps utilizing eGPUs, like Davinci Resolve (which I currently do not own), but there must be some more apps and games putting an eGPU to good use, no?

So, I was wondering, are there really only a handful of eGPU optimized apps and games? What kind of software did you try with your mini+eGPU that made you notice an improvement in performance compared to the internal GPU?

Or are there any situations in MacOS where you noticed that the eGPU gives your system or a specific task a boost?

Would love to hear some of your experiences and app/games recommendations, thanx so much! ;)

Last edited:

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
LOL, your eGPU enclosure costs more than RX580. Sorry, I find that funny.

Now, games do not have a clue if you are using eGPU or normal GPU. The most important factor that decides how good game will run are drivers and how good are they written for the eGPU.

Tomb Raider is probably working good because it is well optimized.

narr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
LOL, your eGPU enclosure costs more than RX580. Sorry, I find that funny.

Not sure, what‘s so funny about that. The Razor X is the cheapest eGPU enclosure that is also quite future-proof. I only added a rx 580 for now as I currently do not need more gfx power. That might change in future and that‘s why I bought the Razor X. The combi is still cheaper than the Black Magic GPU which comes with a similar card (Pro 580) performance wise...

And „Rise of the Tomb Raider“ is optimized for eGPU according to the game company‘s website (Feral).

More info: https://www.google.at/amp/s/www.macrumors.com/2018/06/11/feral-external-gpus-tomb-raider/amp/

Last edited:

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Not sure, what‘s so funny about that. The Razor X is the cheapest eGPU enclosure that is also quite future-proof. I only added a rx 580 for now as I currently do not need more gfx power. That might change in future and that‘s why I bought the Razor X. The combi is still cheaper than the Black Magic GPU which comes with a similar card (Pro 580) performance wise...

And „Rise of the Tomb Raider“ is optimized for eGPU according to the game company‘s website (Feral).

More info: https://www.google.at/amp/s/www.macrumors.com/2018/06/11/feral-external-gpus-tomb-raider/amp/

Oh, this is Mac. Sorry, I thought we were talking about Windoze, where eGPU is recognized as any other GPU.

What I find funny is absolutely outrageous price for metal sheet box with PCIe slot inside and power supply.

There are not enough of us to drive the prices down where they should be.

Reactions: narr

narr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Oh, this is Mac. Sorry, I thought we were talking about Windoze, where eGPU is recognized as any other GPU.

What I find funny is absolutely outrageous price for metal sheet box with PCIe slot inside and power supply.

There are not enough of us to drive the prices down where they should be.

No doubt, the prices for a eGPU box are ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.