Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Installed the RC Monday when it came out.

I've noticed all week that Live Activities specifically sports scores for MLB are no longer coming up and no longer displaying in the Dynamic Island. Is that happening to anyone else?

Reactions: dljeffery

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Yep. Pretty annoying!

Weird thing is, I've been running the iOS 18 betas since WWDC, and live scores for my selected MLB team was working perfectly until I installed the RC.

Also tried toggling things off and back on; didn't help.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Installed the RC Monday when it came out.

I've noticed all week that Live Activities specifically sports scores for MLB are no longer coming up and no longer displaying in the Dynamic Island. Is that happening to anyone else?

Could this (moving it out of the system and into a separate app) be the reason?

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA

Could this (moving it out of the system and into a separate app) be the reason?
I think you're right, however, I sure can't figure out how to get the new Apple Sports app to let me turn Live Activities on for my teams. NFL game started at noon and I have no way to watch it, so it sure would be nice right about now!

It had already prepopulated my favorites. I removed and readded them hoping it would start working, but nope.

EDIT:

The new Sports app also doesn't show up in the Settings | Notifications app list, so maybe that's the missing piece right now.

Last edited:

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
I think you're right, however, I sure can't figure out how to get the new Apple Sports app to let me turn Live Activities on for my teams. NFL game started at noon and I have no way to watch it, so it sure would be nice right about now!

It had already prepopulated my favorites. I removed and readded them hoping it would start working, but nope.

EDIT:

The new Sports app also doesn't show up in the Settings | Notifications app list, so maybe that's the missing piece right now.
The new Sports app hasn't been released yet.

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA
The new Sports app hasn't been released yet.
I'm on iOS 18 RC and have it.

I've been running iOS 18 Developer Betas since WWDC; the new Sports app wasn't in any of them before the RC build to my knowledge (entirely possible I just didn't notice it, though), but either way, Live Activities for sports scores worked perfectly in all the betas until the RC.

Reactions: twanj

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
I'm on iOS 18 RC and have it.

I've been running iOS 18 Developer Betas since WWDC; the new Sports app wasn't in any of them before the RC build to my knowledge, but either way, Live Activities for sports scores worked perfectly in all the betas until the RC.

Sports Live Activities was coming from the TV app. It seems Apple is doing backend changes ahead of the NEW (not released yet) Sports app and temporarily broke Live Activities in the TV app.

The Sports app isn't included with iOS and downloaded separately in the App Store. It should get sorted next week.

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Sports Live Activities was coming from the TV app. It seems Apple is doing backend changes ahead of the NEW (not released yet) Sports app and temporarily broke Live Activities in the TV app.

The Sports app isn't included with iOS and downloaded separately in the App Store. It should get sorted next week.
It doesn't sound like they temporarily broke the Apple TV app live activities, it sounds like they intentionally permanently removed it in the RC, but unfortunately did it before they rolled the replacement functionality out for the Apple Sports app.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
It doesn't sound like they temporarily broke the Apple TV app live activities, it sounds like they intentionally permanently removed it in the RC, but unfortunately did it before they rolled the replacement functionality out for the Apple Sports app.
You may be right that it's permanent and not temporary. I guess they're forcing the Sports app if you want Live Activities in 18. Would be better if the TV app still had sports live activities if you don't install the Sports app.

Reactions: dljeffery

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Thank you all for the reply. I forgot with the push for those going to the Sports App that if that wans't updated maybe thats why.

Kind of annoying but hey the RC is still technically "beta" so can't expect it all to work right till tomorrow lol.

Thanks all.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
New Sports App is now available in the App Store. I'll see tomorrow if it works automatically when my team plays.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Updated the Sports app today.

Finally this evening at the AZ Diamondbacks play the live activity is now showing. I like the lockscreen view update. The design in the sports app for the live activities they updated is nicer looking (matches the team color(s) for the team you're following.

Gobeatty

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
Try this in the Sports app. Tap on the game you want to follow then tap on the icon that looks like a clock in the upper-right corner. Using this, I can choose which game I want to appear on the dynamic island.

What I have not been able to figure out is how to stop instant notifications whenever there is a score. I would prefer just to have the score displayed and available when I look but not get pinged every time something happens in the game.

Thoughts?

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
Try this in the Sports app. Tap on the game you want to follow then tap on the icon that looks like a clock in the upper-right corner. Using this, I can choose which game I want to appear on the dynamic island.

What I have not been able to figure out is how to stop instant notifications whenever there is a score. I would prefer just to have the score displayed and available when I look but not get pinged every time something happens in the game.

Thoughts?
Same question asked in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-scores-how-to-kill-the-sound-please.2437696/

In short, you can't.

Reactions: Gobeatty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.