Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrh2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
After searching for the answer to this question, I found on Apple discussion a post saying that the iPhone 6+/S can’t take Live Photos but mine can?? So i’m hoping that someone might be able to tell me if there is some way of taking Live Photos on my First Generation 12.9 inch iPad Pro - A1584. When I go into the camera there is no button/icon that looks like the Live Photos button on the iPhone or other pictures i’ve seen online showing how to use the iPad Pro’s camera. The 12mp camera on the iPad Pro must be better than the 8mp camera on my iPhone 6+? I’m want to use the iPad Pro to take photos of 100’s of archival documents so thought the bigger screen would make it easier to take better photos than using my iPhone. Live Photos has been a life saver when going back over the photos in Edit, allowing me to find a much clearer image.

Is there a third party app I could use?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If I remember it correctly, Live Photo is a feature of iPhone 6S and above. Also, the camera of the first-gen 12.9 inch iPad Pro doesn't seem to be that good - it seems to be 8MP only?

Last edited:

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I believe it is an 8mp but my 6th gen is an 8mp as well and it has Live Photo. And my old 6s plus had it as well, so dont see any reason why yours wouldn’t
[doublepost=1543295158][/doublepost]After a quick google search, it appears that the first gen 12.9 doesn’t support it, but the 9.7 that came out after did. Not sure why apple cut that feature out for yours

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Yes. Live photo happened first on the 6s/6s+, both of which have 12mp cameras.

The 6th gen iPad has live photos, however with an 8mp camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.