Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoHardFeelings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
I have started to notice that editing Live Photos on Mac under certain, but not rare configurations can cause Live Photos edits to have incorrect, distorted zooms that can also be seen across devices. I have submitted bug report, but wondering if anyone here is having the same issue.

8DC3506B-BF85-4C5F-80E4-146CFD4B2ACA-1-2048x1536-oriented.png

Wrong zoom when editing Live Photos specifically from iPhone 7 Plus on MacBook Pro. When I tried to edit Live Photos on Mac, the resulting edited Live Photos would zoom in a bit too much and not centered. Worse, the edits sync over iCloud Photos as well, causing noticeable distraction when viewing these edited Live Photos on iOS devices by sliding between photos: the Live Photos played as transition are very distracting since they don't align with the actual photos.

It doesn't matter if I'm editing in System Library or not. The issue persists.

When the bug does NOT happen:
  • Edit Live Photos from iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus, which I had tried with my own photos taken with these devices and stored in the same Mac.
  • Edit Live Photos from iOS devices like iPad Pro 12.9 or iPhone 7 plus and let them sync over to view in Mac.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Edit any Live Photos taken from iPhone 7 Plus on Mac.
2. Resulting edits give wrong and distracting zoom.
3. The edits also sync over iCloud yielding huge distractions when viewing these photos on iOS devices (I would not have gone my way to report this if the artifacts are minor).

My configurations:

Macbook Pro mid-2014: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB and Intel Iris Pro 1.5 GB.

Sierra 10.12.3.

The photos that cause problems come from iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 10.2.1. I have tried editing photos from iPhone 6s and 6s Plus with iOS 9.3 on the same Mac. No issues.

Attachments

• livePhotoEditingBug.png
    livePhotoEditingBug.png
    955.7 KB · Views: 128
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.