Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pctechtv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Is it possible to make a local backup of your iPhone via iTunes or any other program? I always clean up my iPhone and start fresh. It is a pain having to add the Apps that I always use over and over again. For PC and Mac there Is a concept of disk imaging or cloning. I do this with PC and Mac when the system is fresh with all software I will use, but still relatively new I make a clone locally. When I ready to restore I just do so. If there is an option like this (without using iCloud and other cloud based products) for an iPhone (I am using 5s) I would like to know about it. Thanks

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
It is possible to create a backup using iTunes - if you want to preserve your passwords/etc ensure that you check the encrypted backup box.

pctechtv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
It is possible to create a backup using iTunes - if you want to preserve your passwords/etc ensure that you check the encrypted backup box.
Thanks for the reply, so if I do it can I use this later? I mean... I want to save this backup so I could even use it from a different computer. Thanks

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thanks for the reply, so if I do it can I use this later? I mean... I want to save this backup so I could even use it from a different computer. Thanks

The backup, even encrypted, stays on the computer that you did your backup on and without copying that back up and moving it to another computer it would only work on the original computer you did your back up on.

pctechtv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Hi thanks Newtons Apple. That is what I would like to know can I just take that backup and move it to other computers? Also it seems that that backup does not contain the apps I had when made it. Thanks

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
you can backup to any computer running itunes. but you can only sync to one itunes library at a time

if you restore your backup from another computer, you will have to go back to the original computer to sync anything like music, photos, books, tv shows, movies, that are not in the backup

if you want to move the backup to another computer ( full time ) , you better copy over the entire library as well

if you want to make extra backups go ahead. don't worry about it. you will just need the original library to resync later
[doublepost=1461001193][/doublepost]for example, my iPhone is 128 gigs. of which 113 are left for me to use. my phone uses up 89 gigs with 24.5 gigs of free space. my iPhone backup is 30 gigs. because 59 gigs is not in the backup because it is either stuff in iCloud or itunes. i can backup to any computer i want, but if i want the 59 gigs back, i better resync it to its library after i restore it

Last edited:

pctechtv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Thank you for the reply... Really! Wow this is not helpful. Is this all about copyrights and Apple protecting their content? That is not useful if you cannot use the backup later. Later... like 1 year (for example) if you are at a different computer. I need to keep these backups and my computer will be changed (newer Version of Windows) with a new version of iTunes by that time. Thanks

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thank you for the reply... Really! Wow this is not helpful. Is this all about copyrights and Apple protecting their content? That is not useful if you cannot use the backup later. Later... like 1 year (for example) if you are at a different computer. I need to keep these backups and my computer will be changed (newer Version of Windows) with a new version of iTunes by that time. Thanks

It is really about Apple protecting the artists content!

pctechtv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
I don't have a song on my iPhone just data in Apps that I want to preserve. That is why this is very interesting to me.
this thread seems to be saying it can be done.
Thanks

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009

no this is the rule about the iPhone only being allowed to SYNC to one library at at time. a library is a computer running itunes where apps, tv shows, movies , music, books are kept. a backup and a sync are two different things. you can backup and restore to any computer, but if you want to sync to a different computer, you need to copy the library over. nothing is really ever lost on the iPhone, because its on some computer running itunes. syncing is only one way. it goes from itunes to the iPhone. and not the other way around. , the other way around is called " transfer purchases "

lets compare the competition shall we! ooo lets troll!

apple - if you do not like the app you can get your money back. and you can keep the app! this app stays on your iPhone, your itunes library, and your purchases

amazon app store. if you do not like the app. there is a no refund policy. if amazon makes an exception, they physically deauthorize the app from your device and it can never be used again

star wars!!!
apple will allow you to play and download star wars to 10 devices of which 5 is the computer limit.
amazon only allows you to download it to 2 locations

time machine
apple lets you backup your mac and restore it to a newer mac and resume your backup chain
windows system images are only supported on the computer that made the backup. if you want the ability to take your backups to another computer, expect to pay for Acronis True Image. restoring a computer from a windows system image to a different make and model of computer is not supported by Microsoft.

regular backups on windows are only pictures, downloads, emails, documents, etc.
programs cannot be backed up and they must be restored from your original CDS.

heck, windows easy transfer was removed from windows 10. if you have an old computer with windows 7 and you want to replace it with windows 10. windows easy transfer is no longer available. you have to get a third party program. sounds easy to me! i don't think easy transfer transferred programs. so you better have your CDs.

protecting the artists
any music that is purchased as a "iTunes plus" song has no limit on how many computers or iOS devices that can play that song. a computer running itunes does not need to authorized or logged onto apple to play that song.

if you have a large library of old itunes songs that have Digital Rights Management, then you can use iTunes Match @ $25 a year to match the old copies. afterwards you can trash the old copies.you replace them with iTunes Plus. after the iTunes Match expires. the music you download is yours to keep

google cloud music
me and my brother signed up for the free deal. i have no idea how to figure out which songs were "matched" or what songs are "uploaded". i cant tell the difference. i do not know how.
[doublepost=1461055649][/doublepost]there is no need to move a backup to another computer. you just connect the iPhone to that computer and tell itunes to back it up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.