Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
iPhone 7 plus, ios 10.0.3, location indicator always on (not so on iPhone 6 Plus). I find that if I turn off Waze's "always" setting for location (there is only "always" and "never" for waze), the indicator disappears. But obviously you can't use Waze without location. Anyone know a solution? Thanks.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
iPhone 7 plus, ios 10.0.3, location indicator always on (not so on iPhone 6 Plus). I find that if I turn off Waze's "always" setting for location (there is only "always" and "never" for waze), the indicator disappears. But obviously you can't use Waze without location. Anyone know a solution? Thanks.

Same happens to me with waze. I only allow location when I'm going to use it because of this. It was that way with my 6+ and my 6S+ too.

SoloStyle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
At this point I'm just used to my location indicator always being on. I have apps which continuously use it like Nest and Waze. It's my understanding that they are not constantly polling the GPS location, but rather grabbing this info from where it's stored in the phone. I believe the way it works now is that the iPhone grabs a quick snapshot of your location every time you wake it, and stores this info. Other apps simply grab that or requests a new snapshot of their own, if needed.

Reactions: jgelin

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Same happens to me with waze. I only allow location when I'm going to use it because of this. It was that way with my 6+ and my 6S+ too.

Yes. Give it a shot and see if you see the same issue.
[doublepost=1477060907][/doublepost]

I have a 6 Plus running IOS 9, and it doesn't happen. So I'm not sure whether it's related to IOS or the model of iphone. It happens with iPHone 7 plus and IOS 10.
[doublepost=1477060949][/doublepost]
At this point I'm just used to my location indicator always being on. I have apps which continuously use it like Nest and Waze. It's my understanding that they are not constantly polling the GPS location, but rather grabbing this info from where it's stored in the phone. I believe the way it works now is that the iPhone grabs a quick snapshot of your location every time you wake it, and stores this info. Other apps simply grab that or requests a new snapshot of their own, if needed.

I'm just trying to minimize battery use. From what I read, having an app polling the phone constantly will drain battery quicker.
[doublepost=1477061894][/doublepost]Found the fix:

From within the WAZE app:

Settings -> General -> Location Change Reporting: Turn this OFF.

Voila.

Dumb app. But necessary.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I have a 6 Plus running IOS 9, and it doesn't happen. So I'm not sure whether it's related to IOS or the model of iphone. It happens with iPHone 7 plus and IOS 10.

I'm just trying to minimize battery use. From what I read, having an app polling the phone constantly will drain battery quicker.

Voila.

Dumb app. But necessary.

Waze has always been a huge battery-burner for me. I'll give that last tip a try - thanks for reporting that.

Reactions: janeauburn

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010

Voila.

Dumb app. But necessary.

I don't see that setting anywhere in my setting... ? :(

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA

This happens with Waze if you have "Location change reporting" turned on. I'm used to it; don't even notice the persistent Loctation symbol any longer.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This happens with Waze if you have "Location change reporting" turned on. I'm used to it; don't even notice the persistent Loctation symbol any longer.
Where is that option? As another user mentioned, it doesn't seem to be in Waze settings.

Reactions: one more

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Where is that option? As another user mentioned, it doesn't seem to be in Waze settings.

Open the app itself; slide open the left-hand pane; hit the gear icon at the top; hit "General" under Advanced Settings -- "Location change reporting" is the fifth option down. The app needs this to be active in order to give you "time to leave" notifications.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Open the app itself; slide open the left-hand pane; hit the gear icon at the top; hit "General" under Advanced Settings -- "Location change reporting" is the fifth option down. The app needs this to be active in order to give you "time to leave" notifications.
No such option there (for me, and seemingly at least another user that mentioned the same earlier).

Reactions: one more

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
No such option there (for me, and seemingly at least another user that mentioned the same earlier).

Odd; what version of the app do you have? (Mine is 4.13.0.4.)

I've attached a screenshot (I'm on an iPhone SE, if that somehow makes a difference.)

Btw -- this feature has been there for what feels like at least a year (I remember stressing out at first about this same issue -- the persistent "location services" symbol -- then forgetting about it). They may have changed the name at some point; maybe it was originally just called "Location reporting," or "Background location reporting"?

Attachments

• IMG_0803.PNG
    IMG_0803.PNG
    86.4 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:

msingewald

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
I know this is an older thread, but Google brought me here searching for this answer, so...

Found the setting in the current version of Waze. It is under Settings > Advanced Settings > General. You will see Location Change Reporting

This is version 4.26.0.4

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
For those of you scratching your heads wondering where this setting is I have some intel...

last night i was reading this thread, couldnt find "location change reporting", it wasnt there.
this morning i used waze and set up a planned drive to a location so it would alert me when to leave.

when i enabled the planned drive to the destination, waze asked me "you need to enable location change reporting to get alerts when to leave" i hit accept.

then went into settings > general, and sure enough the option was now visible.

roki1958

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Los Angeles
For those of you scratching your heads wondering where this setting is I have some intel...

last night i was reading this thread, couldnt find "location change reporting", it wasnt there.
this morning i used waze and set up a planned drive to a location so it would alert me when to leave.

when i enabled the planned drive to the destination, waze asked me "you need to enable location change reporting to get alerts when to leave" i hit accept.

then went into settings > general, and sure enough the option was now visible.

Just added Waze. 7plus on latest iOS. I do not have the option to turn off "location change reporting" in my settings. When I planned a trip I got a message to change my settings in iOS Location for Waze to Always. No request about "location change reporting". I still have the flashing notice on top. This not acceptable to me.

I touch the top of the screen to scroll to the top in all of my apps. But now I bring up Waze instead. The only ways I found to turn this off is by either force quitting the app or, in Waze, putting it in sleep mode.

This does not give me much confidence in this app.

Last edited:

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Just added Waze. 7plus on latest iOS. I do not have the option to turn off "location change reporting" in my settings. When I planned a trip I got a message to change my settings in iOS Location for Waze to Always. No request about "location change reporting". I still have the flashing notice on top. This not acceptable to me.

I touch the top of the screen to scroll to the top in all of my apps. But now I bring up Waze instead. The only ways I found to turn this off is by either force quitting the app or, in Waze, putting it in sleep mode.

This does not give me much confidence in this app.

Same here as well. The only time I use Waze is too see why there is traffic ahead.

roki1958

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Los Angeles
Same here as well. The only time I use Waze is too see why there is traffic ahead.

I found out that if you go to iOS Settings/ Privacy / Location Services / Waze and you change the setting to Always On, then the flashing bar at the top goes away. Seems to me it's Waze's way to make you set the Location Services to Always On.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
I found out that if you go to iOS Settings/ Privacy / Location Services / Waze and you change the setting to Always On, then the flashing bar at the top goes away. Seems to me it's Waze's way to make you set the Location Services to Always On.

I have it set to While Using.

Reactions: Dingster101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.