Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
_NIK2877MR_zpstssta6iz.jpg

Default RAW CS5-reduced to 8bit and over sharpened for web.

I've compared this to the out of camera jpg and they are similar (not the same but)

Taken yesterday afternoon couple of days after the floods (to hairy for my Citroen) when the floods where on.

The building to the right usually provides shelter and a meeting place for the local fishers and 'Gillies'.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Just a suggestion...a post like this could go in the Photo of the Day thread instead of starting a new thread.

~ Peter

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Just a suggestion...a post like this could go in the Photo of the Day thread instead of starting a new thread.

~ Peter

OK - Ta!
[doublepost=1452869979][/doublepost]
Nice shot - I'd try it in BW and up the contrast on the sky...

Understood Simon.

When I took this there was no intention of 'mono' and I am trying to go as natural from the camera as I can. If the image has any value (debatable) I am trying to make it visible without the use of after work.

It is a hard task; especially at the moment, with bloody weather and limited mobility. If the subject is not outstanding I am relying on my own expertise (debatable);).

If I start down the road of PS fixes I will be back at square one before I start. Ironically the out of camera jpg does have a richer sky but also looses out on shadow detail as well. Will dodge&burn be an acceptable darkroom adjust meant to include in my goal? I don't know yet.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Sharkey

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
OK - Ta!
[doublepost=1452869979][/doublepost]

If I start down the road of PS fixes I will be back at square one before I start. Ironically the out of camera jpg does have a richer sky but also looses out on shadow detail as well. Will dodge&burn be an acceptable darkroom adjust meant to include in my goal? I don't know yet.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Sharkey

I've never met a photo yet that didn't benefit from a good dodging and burning.

Reactions: Reality4711

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
;) Do I take that as a positive comment?
You can take it that way if you like, but it was more just a general statement. ;)

I understand your PP fatigue (I'd wager no one on this forum spends as much time editing as I do), but think you are setting yourself a very difficult task that may not net you any real gain.

Good luck.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
You can take it that way if you like, but it was more just a general statement. ;)

I understand your PP fatigue (I'd wager no one on this forum spends as much time editing as I do), but think you are setting yourself a very difficult task that may not net you any real gain.

Good luck.

Understood.
One driving factor for me has been my greater interest in old film images from unknown/lesser known photographers.Excepting those images of great historical/artistic or personality interest I have been drawn by the number of them that generate interest by simply being good/great captures (dislike that word?).
Just recently I have been struck by the use of a single person inserted, or not; just making a question in your mind or drawing your eye across the image in a way the image devoid of this character would not. In a lot of cases the figure is undefined, even vague but its power to change the image is not diminished.

Things like that and more are my interest. Taking the photograph starting before you pick up the camera and ending, as much as possible, when you have pressed the release.

Regards
Sharkey

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Understood.
One driving factor for me has been my greater interest in old film images from unknown/lesser known photographers.Excepting those images of great historical/artistic or personality interest I have been drawn by the number of them that generate interest by simply being good/great captures (dislike that word?).
Just recently I have been struck by the use of a single person inserted, or not; just making a question in your mind or drawing your eye across the image in a way the image devoid of this character would not. In a lot of cases the figure is undefined, even vague but its power to change the image is not diminished.

Things like that and more are my interest. Taking the photograph starting before you pick up the camera and ending, as much as possible, when you have pressed the release.

Regards
Sharkey

Visualizing an image is very important but don't think that because it was film that there wasn't a significant amount of post-processing done after releasing the shutter.

IMO, film development and image processing through to print is a lot more work and far more technically difficult than digital processing and printing.

~ Peter

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Visualizing an image is very important but don't think that because it was film that there wasn't a significant amount of post-processing done after releasing the shutter.

IMO, film development and image processing through to print is a lot more work and far more technically difficult than digital processing and printing.

~ Peter

Understood.

Did a couple of college courses in 'darkroom' stuff (mono) but never got the bug.
After that tried to find a 'nice man' who did have the bug to do that stuff for me. Once the first few rolls of fill had been sorted the relationship between us was intuitive enough for me to make the odd comment on the proofs and the final prints to be pucker. I quite like the second input into the processing miss it quite a bit now. Actually a lot of the time the proofs did it for me (and customer, luckily).

Due respect to the 'forums' its not the same as picking up the phone or having a chat over a coffee(beer) at lunch.

All filed work orientated images went as company assets when I sold up years ago. Suppose retracing my learning experiences is a way of getting going. Maybe the strictness of my new regime will spark the dull glow of indifference into a real good blaze.

All advice appreciated but cannot afford kit change or going back to film:(;)

Regards

Sharkey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.