Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellopascal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
Hi everyone,

my son recently got into music and audio dramas. Right now we have an iPad and he really likes to look at the artwork while listening. So we thought about getting him an iPod touch. Looking through the restrictions on my iPad I have the feeling that it's not possible to lock it down completely to only show the music app, right? At least not with the built-in tools?

And how would I go about setting it up? We have an Apple Music family plan. So I would set up an AppleID for him. Can I only share specific albums with him and restrict him from hearing anything else?

Thanks!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hi everyone,

my son recently got into music and audio dramas. Right now we have an iPad and he really likes to look at the artwork while listening. So we thought about getting him an iPod touch. Looking through the restrictions on my iPad I have the feeling that it's not possible to lock it down completely to only show the music app, right? At least not with the built-in tools?

And how would I go about setting it up? We have an Apple Music family plan. So I would set up an AppleID for him. Can I only share specific albums with him and restrict him from hearing anything else?

Thanks!
Not sure what level of 'lock' you are looking for, but a quick way would be to use Guided Access to lock the iPad / Touch to only the Music App. You should set it up with a passcode and a three home button quick click to lock the app on and off.

If you are looking for a bit more, Apple Configurator can do quite a bit, but is not for the faint of heart.

And if you want the ultimate, then DEP / MDM is what we use to manage Apple Devices. I can remove every app except Settings and/or lock it remotely to whatever is imagined is needed, on the fly.

PS. Another way is to download the Classroom App on your iPad, create an Ad Hoc account on your sons iPad and then you can use the Classroom app to lock him to the Music App or just plain lock the screen. If you are really noisy you could view a live thumbnail of what his iPad screen is showing.

Reactions: 0003462
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.