Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helen8297

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Hi all,
Got my watch today and love it so far. Slightly gutted that syncsolver no longer works though! Just trying to work out the best way to log steps- I don't like having to click through to the activity watch app to scroll and see steps. I've downloaded pacer and withings. As far as I'm aware pacer uses the iPhone steps, not the ones recorded by the watch - anyone know about this?
Anyway- I was looking through my phone's health app and it seems as though both my phone and watch are contributing to my steps- is there anyone that knows how I can stop my phone from contributing to the step count?

Last question- if I have an app that writes my weight to the health app, can the health app then send that weight it's received to other apps? (Yes I have lots of tracking apps because I like them!!)

Thank you!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You phone and watch are not both contributing to your step count. Only one of there are. In settings you can choose which.

You are going to have to pick apps that are compatible with your watch and phone.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Hi all,
Got my watch today and love it so far. Slightly gutted that syncsolver no longer works though! Just trying to work out the best way to log steps- I don't like having to click through to the activity watch app to scroll and see steps. I've downloaded pacer and withings. As far as I'm aware pacer uses the iPhone steps, not the ones recorded by the watch - anyone know about this?
Anyway- I was looking through my phone's health app and it seems as though both my phone and watch are contributing to my steps- is there anyone that knows how I can stop my phone from contributing to the step count?

Last question- if I have an app that writes my weight to the health app, can the health app then send that weight it's received to other apps? (Yes I have lots of tracking apps because I like them!!)

Thank you!
As for your last question... I have a few apps that I can enter my weight and when I make an update in one, it feeds that data to the others and to the apple watch app for my health settings. It "appears" to do this for the apps listed in the heath app only. You can always check the health app under weight to see which apps feed to the weight. Hopefully it works that way for you. I even have an app that is listed in the health app but doesn't let you enter the weight, but it uses the health data to calculate body fat and a few other stats based on info from the health data for weight, height, age, etc.

helen8297

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
You phone and watch are not both contributing to your step count. Only one of there are. In settings you can choose which.

You are going to have to pick apps that are compatible with your watch and phone.
Ok. Just to check- this is a screenshot from my steps data- even though phone steps are listed does that mean they aren't counted because my Apple Watch is first in the list of sources?
image.png

helen8297

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
As for your last question... I have a few apps that I can enter my weight and when I make an update in one, it feeds that data to the others and to the apple watch app for my health settings. It "appears" to do this for the apps listed in the heath app only. You can always check the health app under weight to see which apps feed to the weight. Hopefully it works that way for you. I even have an app that is listed in the health app but doesn't let you enter the weight, but it uses the health data to calculate body fat and a few other stats based on info from the health data for weight, height, age, etc.
Thanks for that- which apps do you use? I tried to test the main weight app by inputting a different weight yesterday. So far it hasn't updated any other apps. My settings for that main app within health are as you can see below- is that right?

Ideally I'd like to input weight to 'Weight diary' and have it send that to health and then have health send that to myfitnesspal and another app.
image.png

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
I think you will need to allow "READ DATA" for weight as well as WRITE DATA for it to work the way you want. There seems to be a requirement for read access if you are also trying to write to HealthKit.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Hi all,
Got my watch today and love it so far. Slightly gutted that syncsolver no longer works though!

Not sure what you mean by Sync Solver no longer working. I use it to move my Watch steps and Weight into the Fitbit app every day. The Fitbit website updates my insurance company and I get paid $5 each day I walk more than 3000 steps. :)

The Fitbit app is free and it works just fine without a Fitbit device.

TxWatch

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
The Pedometer++ App is pretty good and has both a glance and a complication that help you have immediate access to your steps.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Not sure what you mean by Sync Solver no longer working. I use it to move my Watch steps and Weight into the Fitbit app every day. The Fitbit website updates my insurance company and I get paid $5 each day I walk more than 3000 steps. :)

TxWatch
My sister got a Fitbit for Christmas and challenged me for the weekend, so I finally have a reason to reinstall the Fitbit app.

I don't have a Fitbit and don't plan to get one, so for now, their app only can get data from my phone. Still disappointed, but not surprised, that Fitbit doesn't integrate it with Apple Health (Fitbit wants to sell their own devices, after all) to gather step data from the AW. Maybe I'll need to spring for Sync Solver since I leave my phone alone so often these days.

helen8297

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014

TxWatch
Sync solver works to get your steps in the app but I'm pretty sure I read that since the beginning of December the sync solver steps can't count towards Challenges? Is this correct?

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Sync solver works to get your steps in the app but I'm pretty sure I read that since the beginning of December the sync solver steps can't count towards Challenges? Is this correct?

You are correct, but it is not a limitation of Sync Solver or the Watch. Fitbit does not want people to use an Apple Watch as a step tracking device, so they are making it as difficult as possible for those who try. I do not participate in challenges, so it is not a problem for me.

Ideally, Fitbit will create a Watch App to allow us into their fitness Eco-system, but for now we are stuck with Sync Solver which does not count towards your challenges.

TxWatch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.