Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hila87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
Hey guys,

*long post for background story- question on bottom*

In December 2015, I got my new MacBook Pro 13" Retina display (Late 2015). It was a gift for my birthday from many friends and family that gather for that matter. It came right on time after my old Mac (Early 2009) died on me, in a way, unexpectedly. (Battery expended of old age and made the motherboard to crack).

Last weekend, I realized that my current Mac (2015) is acting weird. Every time I shut the lid, the Mac was still on (the light on the apple logo from the outside stayed on and I could hear the iMessage still gets messages). It was weird, so I opened the lid and manually pressed "Sleep", then my Mac went to sleep, but as soon as I closed the lid back, the apple logo would turn back on.. I thought to myself that it's probably a setting problem or something.
So the next evening (after everything was fine the entire day) I shut down my computer. When I shut it off, it asked me if I want to update the computer to the latest update. I pressed yes and my Mac shut down. (I didn't realize if it was done updating but assumed it did).
The next day, I wanted to power it back on, but then it didn't start up for some reason. Nothing. Black screen, no sound of anything. Really weird. I tried everything possible until I decided to go to Apple genius bar. Yesterday I went to the store, they did a diagnosis and discovered that the only way to power the computer up is to open the Mac, take out the battery, connect the power, power it with the start up button and place the battery back. They told be that the diagnosis came out perfect for other things and the reason this is happening is because the logic borad fail to perform those tasks and has to be replaced.

Now since this was a gift, by the time I thought about Apple Care, is was too late to get it, the only warranty I had was the one year they give you for free when you buy a Mac. My Mac was bought on December 17th, 2015 and I went to Apply Store on June 26th, 2017 with the above problem which is out of coverage at this point (by 6 months. fail!). They told me to replace a logic board will cost me $475, which is extremely expensive.

My question is- what is the reason for a logic board to fail like that after a year and a half?
I know for sure it is not heat, as my Mac sits on a desk. I read that usually, it's because of an old age too, but this is clearly not the case.
I know that it is possible to have a manufacturing defect but I was wondering if there is a way of proving such a thing. I also know it did happen in the past with Apple products but not recently.
My thoughts are that this is not a thing that was caused because of anything I have done since I take care of it very well. It barely moves out of my house and stays on a desk.

Do you have any ideas how to solve such a problem without paying $475? I'm very good at bargaining and I am willing to do so if it is realistic.

Thanks so much for your help!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
You say it was a gift. The person(s) who bought it did they purchase it with a credit card? If so, then the computer might be covered by the credit card extended warranty program.

EDIT: Sorry to hear that the logic board has failed so soon.

Hila87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
You say it was a gift. The person(s) who bought it did they purchase it with a credit card? If so, then the computer might be covered by the credit card extended warranty program.

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried that. Unfortunately, it was a gift from many people in my life. They all paid to one person through PayPal, and he then bought an Apple gift card and bought the Mac with it. My best of luck, right?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for the reply.
I have tried that. Unfortunately, it was a gift from many people in my life. They all paid to one person through PayPal, and he then bought an Apple gift card and bought the Mac with it. My best of luck, right?

I would suggest giving Apple a call and explain the situation about failing 6 months out of warranty. My experience is that they will accomidate people on occasion. Worth a try.

Hila87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
I would suggest giving Apple a call and explain the situation about failing 6 months out of warranty. My experience is that they will accomidate people on occasion. Worth a try.

I have tried that too. I bargained on the phone and in-store. The problem is that both sides sent me back to the other and I was left in between. I called Apple Care (after being in store) and they told me basically "Sorry, you should go to the store and ask them" and when I went back to the store they said "Talk to Apple Care".. I mean...

Would you recommend talking to someone else that isn't one of those I mentioned?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have tried that too. I bargained on the phone and in-store. The problem is that both sides sent me back to the other and I was left in between. I called Apple Care (after being in store) and they told me basically "Sorry, you should go to the store and ask them" and when I went back to the store they said "Talk to Apple Care".. I mean...

Would you recommend talking to someone else that isn't one of those I mentioned?

Did you speak with a senior level advisor at Apple? If it were me I would chat to a senior level advisor and express my frustration about the computer failing so quickly.

Hila87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
Did you speak with a senior level advisor at Apple? If it were me I would chat to a senior level advisor and express my frustration about the computer failing so quickly.

I believe I did. After speaking to a representative, I asked him to send me to his advisor and so I did speak to an advisor without much luck. It is so unfortunate, I thought Apple would care more for their clients.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I believe I did. After speaking to a representative, I asked him to send me to his advisor and so I did speak to an advisor without much luck. It is so unfortunate, I thought Apple would care more for their clients.

The other option which might get you somewhere is write a letter to Tim Cook. I have done that in the past. Sometimes it depends on who you get to chat with on AppleCare in these cases. I have had pretty good luck in the past.

Hila87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
The other option which might get you somewhere is write a letter to Tim Cook. I have done that in the past. Sometimes it depends on who you get to chat with on AppleCare in these cases. I have had pretty good luck in the past.

Thank you,
I would love to do that. Can you give me the information on how to send a letter to Tim? I'm sure it's in a way a long shot but I'm willing to go for it. The Mac I got cost $1,700.. I mean.. to add $475 to that is so unfair and literally the cost of a new upgraded iMac.

And yes totally, I heard that lately, Apple aren't as generous as they used to. Too bad because my experience with them was pretty good so far, except this.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It's unfortunate that you're having trouble, but don't expect much from Apple. The warranty is the warranty, it lasts for a year. Apple owes nothing, anything you get is icing on the cake.

I work for an AASP, we are strictly held to Apple standards when it comes to repairs. Physical damage or out of warranty? Not covered, sorry. You can certainly try, but IMO this isn't really something that warrants the attention of whoever answers Tim Cook's emails, those should be reserved for issues with the amount of time a repair or other service is taking, or an issue that support is just not able to solve (resulting in frustration with the computer). In this case, the agents are simply adhering to the policy, especially considering you're at 150%+ of the warranty period. A month, maybe 2? MAYBE... But 6-7 months...

What's really unfortunate is that the failure is likely just a Hall Effect or reed sensor, detecting the incorrect lid position. I get that it's frustrating that it's probably such a simple part, but that requires replacement of the logic board or clamshell, neither of which is a cheap part. I'm kind of surprised you were not offered a Flat Rate repair option. Yes, it'll cost you SOMETHING but it's generally a decent compromise between what the actual repair cost is and $0.

You could try an SMC (System Management Controller) reset to see if maybe it's just detecting something wrong.

zaxven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
i recall last time apple charged me a flat rate repair fee ( not under warranty) of 350$ for mac pro late 2010 (Replaced the logic board, lcd screen along with new hdd). It was completely worth i paid for and had no issues hence after.. till i retired with a new one.

IMHO try another apple store, and see how much they quote( will help taking a decision). every one at genius bar has diff approach of troubleshooting, and some times they go beyond usual to get things done right for you. Sorry, you had a bad experience but never go to third party no matter the cheap price they come with.

Set an appointment with an another genius bar, @ apple store and go from there.

Also I am guessing it's retina pro, then the parts are not cheap compared to non-retina one.

Reactions: Hila87

JMQ01

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2017
I have also been facing the Logic board problem with my MacBook Pro 13" Retina display (Early2015) recently purchased. Logic board failed within less than 5 months of using it. The problem seems to be wide-spread. Even though my device is still under warranty, the response from Apple has been appalling. Never ever had such a horrific customer service experience.
Currently I am fighting to get the device replaced or refunded rather than repaired. As most likely I would be given a refurbished logic board( apple customer service calls it-known workable logic board) and the device would be a liability that I can't afford.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
As most likely I would be given a refurbished logic board

To be fair, EVERY manufacturer uses repaired boards for warranty service. What do you think they do with the ones that come back after repairing a system, throw them away? That's not very eco-conscious. It's even spelled out in the warranty.

Here's the pertinent info for the US from Apple's site:

WHAT WILL APPLE DO IN THE EVENT THE WARRANTY IS BREACHED?

If during the Warranty Period you submit a claim to Apple or an AASP in accordance with this warranty, Apple will, at its option:

(i) repair the Apple Product using new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability,

You don't get a choice, you agreed to the terms when you opened the package.

JamesMcCracken

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2017
Guayaquil, Ecuador
It's unfortunate that you're having trouble, but don't expect much from Apple. The warranty is the warranty, it lasts for a year. Apple owes nothing, anything you get is icing on the cake.

I work for an AASP, we are strictly held to Apple standards when it comes to repairs. Physical damage or out of warranty? Not covered, sorry. You can certainly try, but IMO this isn't really something that warrants the attention of whoever answers Tim Cook's emails, those should be reserved for issues with the amount of time a repair or other service is taking, or an issue that support is just not able to solve (resulting in frustration with the computer). In this case, the agents are simply adhering to the policy, especially considering you're at 150%+ of the warranty period. A month, maybe 2? MAYBE... But 6-7 months...

What's really unfortunate is that the failure is likely just a Hall Effect or reed sensor, detecting the incorrect lid position. I get that it's frustrating that it's probably such a simple part, but that requires replacement of the logic board or clamshell, neither of which is a cheap part. I'm kind of surprised you were not offered a Flat Rate repair option. Yes, it'll cost you SOMETHING but it's generally a decent compromise between what the actual repair cost is and $0.

You could try an SMC (System Management Controller) reset to see if maybe it's just detecting something wrong.
[doublepost=1513626704][/doublepost]“What's really unfortunate is that the failure is likely just a Hall Effect or reed sensor, detecting the incorrect lid position. I get that it's frustrating that it's probably such a simple part, but that requires replacement of the logic board or clamshell, neither of which is a cheap part.”

So having the display recently replaced by them due to a “quality control program” could have a lot to do with the failure....??

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Sorry, I'm not personally aware of the location of the sensor that is the possible cause if it is even the cause.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.