Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enyathackray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2016
Hello

I just purchased a Logitech C930e which is suppose to be 100% compatible with my Macbook Pro

The operating system is OS 10.11.4

The mac does not recognise the camera at all!
My USB ports work fine...

The camera shows in the system report so apple tech told me its not the camera either...
can anyone think of anything else it could be?

Thanks!

Reactions: quicksite

enyathackray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2016
Yes i have thank you!

I have had an online support team looking at my computer for 10 hours today and they knew nothing!
I dont know what to do next!

Thanks ..

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
I assume you've already rebooted while having the webcam connected?

Is the webcam connected directly to the MacBook or through a USB hub?

Try unplugging it, opening up the console app, reconnecting the webcam and checking for any warnings or errors.

RobCoenen

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2016
Roggel, The Netherlands
  1. Try connecting the webcam to another USB port on your Mac.
  2. Click the Apple menu (in the top left corner of your screen) and then click About this Mac. Click on System Report from the pop-up window that appears. The System Information window for your Mac will appear. Navigate to the USB section and check to see if the webcam is listed as a connected device.
  3. Make sure your Mac’s installed version of Mac OS X is completely up-to-date.
  4. Reset the PRAM — Shut down the Mac. Before you start it up, locate the following keys: Command, Option, P, and R. Turn the computer back on and hold down the Command, Option, P and R keys. Wait until the computer makes its second startup chime before releasing the keys.
  5. Try starting your Mac into Safe Mode: Restart the computer while pressing the Shift key. Hold down the Shift key until the Apple logo appears.Test the device.
  6. While your Mac is in Safe Mode, check to make sure that your webcam is connected to your Mac. Click the Apple menu (in the top left corner of your screen) and then click About this Mac. Click on System Report from the pop-up window that appears. The System Information window for your Mac will appear. Navigate to the USB section and check to see if the webcam is listed as a connected device.

B33lzebub

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
This thread is pretty old, but maybe the following will help someone searching for help.
Short version: try it in another computer, with a different operating system.

Long version: having recently updated to El Capitan, I could get no joy from my C930e. Its microphone worked,
but not the camera, despite making sure the firmware was up to date, trying different usb ports, etc.
I began to suspect the camera had died.
To check this, I took it to an old redhat inux machine, plugged it in, and ran the webcam program "cheese".
It worked perfectly! I unplugged it, took it back to my mac mini, plugged it in, and it worked perfectly,
with both Photo Booth and Skype. OOTT (One Of Those Things), I suppose.

quicksite

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Thanks for your reply— because your suggestion worked for me. And I hadn't thought of it, so thank you. I was having the webcam recognition problem on my Mac Pro. So I unplugged and moved it to my Macbook Pro. From prior troubleshooting, I knew that the way to "select webcam" was to launch Quicktime 10 Player. (Players prior to version 10 won't work, because it needs to have the "Record Movie" function.)

So I launched Quicktime 10 player, then from Menu Bar selected "New Movie Recording"... This opens a video interface, but as I expected, the camera was not automatically recognized. So I already knew about how to select the webcam — by clicking on the DOWNWARD ARROW v to the right of the RED BUTTON in the center of the little control strip when you mouse over the Quicktime player window.

StQjUpY.png

Clicking on the v reveals a dropdown menu with separate selections for Camera, and Microphone: Hopefully you'll see the Logitech c930e listed there, so select it.

The Logitech webcam then fired up for me, but it was jittery. I closed that "video recording". Then reselected "New Movie Recording", then repeated the selection of the Logitech c930e. When I did that, the image stabilized to perfect state. Who knows, like you say, "One of those things". It would appear that somehow the circuitry in the Logitech camera was asleep in some way, and this reselecting of the webcam on another Mac did the trick in kicking it into gear. I then unplugged the webcam and plugged back in to my Mac Pro. Launched Quicktime Player 10, selected "New Movie Recording", and the c930e was working! yay!

I took it to (another computer), plugged it in, and ran the webcam program "cheese".
It worked perfectly! I unplugged it, took it back to my mac mini, plugged it in, and it worked perfectly,
with both Photo Booth and Skype. OOTT (One Of Those Things), I suppose.

Last edited:

B33lzebub

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
And thanks to you too. I didn't know about Quicktime 10. (Or, for that matter, tools like Soundflower.)

madele

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2013
Please let me know if the Logitech C930e webcam is still the best option with a Mac .. Thank you.

Reality_Bath

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2017
If your problem was like mine, the camera was obviously functional (seen in the system report as a miscellaneous USB) but just wont turn on because it is not getting recognized as a camera by your apps like Facetime, Hangouts etc. Then this should work:

A Quick Fix for Mac Camera Not Working
Fortunately, there is another trick that seems to fix the problem immediately using a command line force quit, and does not require a reboot:

1. Quit all open apps that may try to use the camera
  2. Open Terminal, found in the /Applications/Utilities directory in OS X
  3. Enter the following command strings exactly, then hit return:
    sudo killall VDCAssistant
  4. Still at the terminal, issue the following command as well:
    sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
  5. Enter the administrator password when requested, this is required to execute a command with superuser privileges as prefixed by sudo
  6. Relaunch the app that was attempting to use the camera
In my case changing computers and rebooting or doing any of the things suggested by the logitech support page had no effect in making the camera functional again. The above fixed it right away. Also this works for other logitech webcams.

Last edited:

lickface

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2017
THIS WORKED!!! Thanks for the Command Line love, bro...

If your problem was like mine, the camera was obviously functional (seen in the system report as a miscellaneous USB) but just wont turn on because it is not getting recognized as a camera by your apps like Facetime, Hangouts etc. Then this should work:

A Quick Fix for Mac Camera Not Working
Fortunately, there is another trick that seems to fix the problem immediately using a command line force quit, and does not require a reboot:

1. Quit all open apps that may try to use the camera
  2. Open Terminal, found in the /Applications/Utilities directory in OS X
  3. Enter the following command strings exactly, then hit return:
    sudo killall VDCAssistant
  4. Still at the terminal, issue the following command as well:
    sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
  5. Enter the administrator password when requested, this is required to execute a command with superuser privileges as prefixed by sudo
  6. Relaunch the app that was attempting to use the camera
In my case changing computers and rebooting or doing any of the things suggested by the logitech support page had no effect in making the camera functional again. The above fixed it right away. Also this works for other logitech webcams.

The1Q

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
THIS WORKED!!! Thanks for the Command Line love, bro...

Out of curiosity, does the person face timing you hear an echo with the c930e? I have the c920 and people complaining of terrible echo on their end using FaceTime.

norman21

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
The suggestion of RealityBath worked for me too. The camera I have that stopped working on my iMac (but still worked on MBP and the microphone still worked on iMac) is lsited in the 'about this mac' as a [Logitech] Webcam C615

Dtropp

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2014
Thanks, RealityBath. Worked for me too. I have an IPEVO V4K that was only being detected as a mic but not camera. This fixed it!

jaxparo

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
I stumbled upon a solution that works for my Logitech HD C910 and other webcams. I had several Macs running various versions of OS X, including El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave. I noticed my C910 quit working on all of them except one, a 2009 MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14.3 installed. This Mojave wasn't a 'supported' installation, I used 'Mojave Patcher' from DosDude1. I saw there was a patch in Mojave Patcher called 'Legacy iSight Patch'. So I took a chance, booted from a Mojave Patch Tool USB Installer and ran the 'Post Installation Patch' for 'Legacy iSight Patch' on my other Macs, (or version for earlier MacOS Sierra or High Sierra), and voilà, WORKING Logitech webcams. Here's a link to the various Patch Tools. You may need to make a USB installer, I'm not sure if you can directly patch from the patch tool installer maker application. http://dosdude1.com/software.html

erickeo

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2022
Dear friends,

I have a Logitech c920e web cam that was working ok on my MacBook Air M1 with Monterrey OS, but suddenly it stop working, I was not recognized, by the way, I have my Mac connected to a Samsung ultrawide monitor, and the webcam is connected to one of the USB ports on the monitor.

After some time and troubleshooting I just changed the USB-C port on my Mac which only has two USB-C ports, so I just changed the connection from one to the other and it solved the problem.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.