Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have the (older) "Performance Mouse MX" (which is still available for about $50).

It uses an internal rechargeable/removeable AA size battery that is recharged via a USB cable which plugs into the front of the mouse.

You can still use the mouse in "wired" mode while recharging.

Looks like the MX Master 2s may have gone back to a permanently-mounted internal batttery. But it still uses a USB cable for charging, and I'm sure the mouse will still be usable while doing so.

So... yes, you can use it "wired" if you wish.

Unless you really, really want the scroll wheel on the side, I'd suggest you consider the slightly older model -- mine is really nice.

Reactions: jusacruiser

leovilma

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2017
Anywhere is more portable but Master has better ergonomics. I personally have MX Master and I'm 100% happy with it. Probably the best mouse unless you game seriously. Another interesting alternative in this class you might want to take look at is Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse.

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

Segev

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2017
Hey,

Both are nice and both are working in wired mode. My personal preference is the MX Master which feels better and gives me a better grip. If you're not on the go all the time I would definitely recommend getting the MX Master.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I have the (older) "Performance Mouse MX" (which is still available for about $50).

It uses an internal rechargeable/removeable AA size battery that is recharged via a USB cable which plugs into the front of the mouse.

You can still use the mouse in "wired" mode while recharging.

Looks like the MX Master 2s may have gone back to a permanently-mounted internal batttery. But it still uses a USB cable for charging, and I'm sure the mouse will still be usable while doing so.

So... yes, you can use it "wired" if you wish.

Unless you really, really want the scroll wheel on the side, I'd suggest you consider the slightly older model -- mine is really nice.
Fisherrman......Thank you for your thoughts on the Logitech Mouse. I found it very helpful and ended up going with the "Master" because I will be using it at home mostly.....and as you say, I can use it wired.
[doublepost=1533012591][/doublepost]
Anywhere is more portable but Master has better ergonomics. I personally have MX Master and I'm 100% happy with it. Probably the best mouse unless you game seriously. Another interesting alternative in this class you might want to take look at is Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse.
Thanks Leovilma.......Yes, I did go with the Master. Basically, what it all came down to, is thinking that when using the MBP at home it makes sense to use the mouse.....but when traveling or going to Starbucks, it is easiest to just use the trackpad.
[doublepost=1533012712][/doublepost]
Hey,

Both are nice and both are working in wired mode. My personal preference is the MX Master which feels better and gives me a better grip. If you're not on the go all the time I would definitely recommend getting the MX Master.
Yes.....The Master definitely feels better and I will use it at home.....whereas I will use the trackpad when traveling. Thanks for responding.

cast128

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2003
Colorado
I love the feel and ability to customize / configure the different buttons and scroll wheels, BUT the clicking is so loud! My family members can hear it in the other room and it drives them nuts. Anyone else think the master is loud?

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
I love the feel and ability to customize / configure the different buttons and scroll wheels, BUT the clicking is so loud! My family members can hear it in the other room and it drives them nuts. Anyone else think the master is loud?

Was looking into the Master 2S. Is it louder than Apple's Magic mouse? Between my Macbook's butterfly keyboard and the magic mouse, all you can hear is clicking/clacking.

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
I returned the Master because I found it too uncomfortable. I replaced it with an MX Anywhere 2S. Best mouse I've ever owned and yes it can be used while charging.

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
I’ve been using the MX Master for over a year. Great mouse except for the once-in-a-while scroll wheel problem. Same issue reported for the 2S version. Not hard to fix. Just a PITA to deal with it. Software side (Logitech Options) well designed. 2 particular advantages of the MX Master: Able to use on 3 different computers (setting button underneath mouse), and via Logitech Options, able to customize mouse for specific programs.

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
2 particular advantages of the MX Master: Able to use on 3 different computers (setting button underneath mouse), and via Logitech Options, able to customize mouse for specific programs.

MX Anywhere 2S can also do both of these things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.