Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
So I got a Diana + for my birthday with some B&W negative film in it.

Being fairly new to the old analog scene am I able to just take the film out the back of the camera and scan it on my dads photo scanner or does it need to be processed and printed in a shop.

If the later I can see this being quite an expensive hobby!

Thanks

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
So I got a Diana + for my birthday with some B&W negative film in it.

Being fairly new to the old analog scene am I able to just take the film out the back of the camera and scan it on my dads photo scanner or does it need to be processed and printed in a shop.

If the later I can see this being quite an expensive hobby!

Thanks

OOOH, I'm really feeling my age. I learned photography on film cameras in the '70s and just moved to digital recently. YES you need to have it processed and printed before you can scan it. DO NOT open the back of the camera unless you have fully rewound an exposed roll of film.

Film photography is more expensive unless you have what we used to call a wet darkroom where you would process your own film and prints. I quit photography for quite a few years after I left school and didn't have access to a darkroom anymore. Having someone else process and print my photos took a lot of the fun out of it.

Shoot with your 120, that is a great film format. I'm a proponent of learning on film because you have to be really conscious of the image in the frame. You can't look at the back and say "I don'y like that one". It builds discipline. If you find you really like photography, then take a look at digital cameras.

Sorry for speaking up like that...:)

Dale

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
I am feeling old too after seeing this post and I am only 25...
You'll need have the film developed before they will display anything. Be very careful with Film as any exposure to light will make it useless (thats how they work).

Enjoy the Diana I hear it's a great camera and very popular these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.