Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
After reading the sad thread quoted below, I have been trying to work out an automation that would lock my phone automatically if my iPhone went out of range of my Apple Watch. Essentially the same idea as “Dynamic Lock” that was introduced with Windows 10. My phone knows when it can’t connect to my watch, but I can’t figure out how to make this automate a lock. A less effective alternative would be to have a focus mode on the Watch that locks the phone, which would need to be triggered before the thief got out of range.

Welcome people’s suggestions.

Took my daughter for her very first swimming lesson (East London, UK).
She was getting late so my wife took her inside while I looked for parking.
Parked - exited to get the reference number for the RingGo app (first time there).
Took out my phone and was in the process of paying for the parking and two electric bikes come out of nowhere - snatched my phone and made off in a flash. I tripped in the process - not sure if my thumb is just bruised or broken but it painful - hopefully it's just bruised.

This was a 15 Pro Max 512GB. Had it since release. Running latest iOS etc.
Worst bit is phone was unlocked when it was taken as I was in the process of using it.

Within a few minutes I got onto my iCloud via my wife's phone and marked the phone as lost and set it to erase.
This also suspended all the payment cards in the wallet.
Its showing as offline so unable to track it at all - but it should just erase when its connected to the Internet.

All sensitive notes etc were protected with an additional password - so that's OK.
Banking apps all need a login, whether FaceID or passcode - so should be OK there.
I can't even get onto my banking at the moment as they use 2FA and send a code to my phone - which I don't have!

Have a replacement Sim coming in the next 3 days.
Phone was luckily covered by Applecare+ so also covered for loss and theft. Claim has been approved so bar a £109 excess I should have a new phone in the next 5 days depending on stock. Apple and the Insurer were actually really good with this.
Hence it's just the inconvenience really - and just hoping they can't access anything else on the phone. I think I have everything covered. Well, I really hope I have.

Is here anything else I can do other then set it to lost and erase mode?

Police weren't bothered. Gave me a crime reference number and said "it's been happening a lot lately" and that was it!

PLEASE guys, stay safe. It happens when you least expect it.
And above all else, PLEASE do not keep your bank cards in the case along with the phone!

Did everything on my phone. Feel completely lost at the moment! Sad really!

Reactions: Ifti

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
I have been experimenting and I have an automation that locks the screen when disconnected from AirPods. I guess that does something similar.

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
After reading the sad thread quoted below, I have been trying to work out an automation that would lock my phone automatically if my iPhone went out of range of my Apple Watch. Essentially the same idea as “Dynamic Lock” that was introduced with Windows 10. My phone knows when it can’t connect to my watch, but I can’t figure out how to make this automate a lock. A less effective alternative would be to have a focus mode on the Watch that locks the phone, which would need to be triggered before the thief got out of range.

Welcome people’s suggestions.

This would be a great solution....

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
Okay guys I’ve added another one. Auto lock automation when airplane mode is activated. I believe this is a tactic used by thieves to prevent remote wiping.

Any other ideas for how to theftproof?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.