Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have installed the 2nd ssd on my mid2010 iMac and the booting time seems to be longer than it was before when i had the HDD inside (ssd was primary). Could it be some setting thats needed to be changed? Could the system be taking time to decide which of the two ssds is in charge or something?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The PRAM/NVRAM reset will "un-set" the boot disk, so, after booting to your system, Open System Preferences/Startup Disk, and select the volume that you want to use for your normal boot system. You will need to unlock that pane to make the selection.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If the reset will un-set the bootdisk, isnt that gonna disallow me to boot? How will i boot?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If the default boot disk is not set, then booting typically will take a bit longer (because no default is set, and the firmware picks a boot disk after a brief search. Selecting the boot disk in Startup Disk pane simply bypasses the search.)
Your iMac will still boot, without any intervention on your part. It may simply take a bit longer. Selecting the startup disk pane avoids that small delay on boot. And, if your iMac somehow ignores all possible boot disks (won't happen, it will boot to something), then you can simply hold the Option key, and choose your boot disk from the boot manager screen.
But, you should still check for a boot disk selection, just to make sure that is not contributing to a boot delay.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The Startup disk seems to be set, but in any case i reselected it and restarted... seems to be booting faster ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.