Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazz76

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
Hi All

Apple seems to have gone all in on Midnight, which is no bad thing. I plan to buy a new MacBook this year, iPad next year and iPhone the year after. Ideally, I'd like the to (eventually) be the same colour. Predicting Apple's future colours is impossible, but I thought I was on a sure footing with Space Grey, but it looks almost as if Midnight is the new Space Grey, as SG feels a bit sidelined at the moment.

My questions are: do you think Midnight is here to stay for a while (or will 'Bronze' or something be the new thing next year?) and will Space Grey be around, or might it be on the way out?

Impossible questions, I suspect, but I wondered what you all thought.

cheers!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Hi All

Apple seems to have gone all in on Midnight, which is no bad thing. I plan to buy a new MacBook this year, iPad next year and iPhone the year after. Ideally, I'd like the to (eventually) be the same colour. Predicting Apple's future colours is impossible, but I thought I was on a sure footing with Space Grey, but it looks almost as if Midnight is the new Space Grey, as SG feels a bit sidelined at the moment.

My questions are: do you think Midnight is here to stay for a while (or will 'Bronze' or something be the new thing next year?) and will Space Grey be around, or might it be on the way out?

Impossible questions, I suspect, but I wondered what you all thought.

cheers!
Well they technically replaced space grey this year on the iPhone with more of a matte black which is closer to the midnight in darkness. Its hard to say for longevity of the midnight, but im sure there will be a spot for space grey somewhere in the line up as time goes on. Maybe more reserved for the their pro series

Reactions: Jazz76

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
I wouldn't lose any sleep until you don't see SG on the MBPs, or even see Midnight added to the MBP lineup.

Jazz76

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
"Maybe more reserved for the their pro series" - that's a good point. I've not thought of it that way.

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
For the first question, it’s hard to say but Apple tend to change its colorful options more often than the neutral ones (silver, space grey, gold). The iPad lineup is probably the closest equivalent of the macbook air, and the last two generations of iPad Air had very similar colors. So I would not exclude that midnight will be there for a few years. But it is for now a MBA exclusive color, you don’t really find similar shade on other products, and I doubt we will.

I doubt that space grey is on its way out, it’s always a classical option for Macs, iPads, Apple Watches and iPhones. But, Apple is known to have inconsistent shades of colors from a product to an other, and from a generation to an other. It’s not exactly the same each time, so color matching is not easy (see the picture, most of those products are labeled space grey).

So if you wish to match your Apple devices, I still think Space Grey is the closest you’re gonna get

1E2B6F3F-3AC4-459E-9409-625507A3A596.jpeg

Jazz76

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2015
That's chaos, isn't it? I think you're right though. Midnight seems to be popular at the moment (and it is easy to see why), with apple watch and the iPhone available in it, but Space Grey has always been a dependable colour.

Reactions: Technerd108

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
That's chaos, isn't it? I think you're right though. Midnight seems to be popular at the moment (and it is easy to see why), with apple watch and the iPhone available in it, but Space Grey has always been a dependable colour.
I think they need to find a more durable way to d the finish if they want to go that dark on these laptops. I had a midnight first and it showed marks so easily it was insane. I replaced it with silver, space grey just looked a little too dull for me on such a large surface area. I have space grey iPhones and iPads, just couldn't seem to pull the trigger for that colour on the Mac

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I think they need to find a more durable way to d the finish if they want to go that dark on these laptops. I had a midnight first and it showed marks so easily it was insane. I replaced it with silver, space grey just looked a little too dull for me on such a large surface area. I have space grey iPhones and iPads, just couldn't seem to pull the trigger for that colour on the Mac
I would get silver if I didn't like Midnight. I had a few Macs with Space grey and I just felt they weren't dark enough. I really wanted black but I totally agree with a more durable finish on anything that isn't Silver! They need some MILspec finish!!

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I agree. I'm really loving the Midnight color right now. (Have a Midnight Apple Watch and iPhone.) I'm hoping they bring it to the new 16" M2 MBPs since I'll be needing a new one soon. Heck, I might even dump my 2021 iPad Pro for a Midnight color if there was one...but I might be getting carried away, lol.

On one hand, I feel like Starlight and Midnight are the new colors to replace Silver and Space Gray; but on the other hand, I feel like these might be like the Rose Gold color...be really popular and then suddenly fizzle out (assuming Apple still offers Silver and Space Gray alongside Starlight and Midnight).

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
SG is still the best for me after the midnight finger print flop, the midnight iPhones are the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.