Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Hi,

I am looking to replace my current personal digital camera with something in the mid (or low depending on taste) professional range, and from Canon.

I have done onsite professional photography for a couple of years now, however with others equipment not my own, and have decided (years ago) that I like Canon equipment. I am currently pondering the purchase of the 30D, and am still considering the 20D, and possibly a budget alternative of the 400D (EOS Xti). DPreview has great praise for the 30D, and even the 20D, but I think the screen size is going to be the killer feature of the 30.

So more to the point. How have people been doing with their 30D cameras? And do you have any good recommendations for places to buy them online ? I am not looking for budget cheap (bait and switch) companies, but more photography based places with good customer service, and fair prices.

The 30D currently has a $100 (US) rebate from Canon.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The place many people will recommend to buy is B&H Photo in NY. They are not quite the lowest priced but honest and 100% above board. These are other good places too.

About which to buy -- I'd say if you have to cut back on a lens section so you can afford the more expensive body then you are doing it 100% backwards. Pick out the lens(se) then buy a body to fit the remaining budget. People looking at your photos will never know if the shot was done on a 30d, 20d or 350d but they can see the effect of a better lens.

having used a DSLR I don't think the size of the LCD matter that much yo mostly used it for the menu. You can't compose shots with the LCD on an SLR. Very few SLR shooters look at the image on the LCD, except just to check exposure.

BryanP

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
I used to own a 30D and it was a great camera; no problems whatsoever.

I liked the feel of that camera compared to the XT/XTi form factor. I'd recommend that over the XT/XTi just because of the build and ergonomics which IMO is superior to the XT/XTi (though the XTi's isn't bad).

The focus is a bit faster and accurate on the 30D compared to the 20D from what I've read on Photography-on-the-net, but I haven't been able to actually compare that myself.

However, I have been able to compare it to an XT and XTi so thats my saying about the 30D.

I strongly recommend it.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Thanks for the information and suggestions..

I am knowingly buying a more expensive camera and intend to do lenses within 6 months, without going low budget. I also intend to have this camera for 2 - 3 years before I make the next jump.

Since I do mostly motorsports photography, the faster focus, shutter speed, and overall speed of the camera is going to be highly important to me. Sounds like the 30D should fit me well.

I will check out the online vendor, and compare them to my local pro camera chain here in the Minneapolis area. Being able to go into a store and talk, work with someone on later lens purchases is going to be important.

BryanP

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
Thanks for the information and suggestions..

I am knowingly buying a more expensive camera and intend to do lenses within 6 months, without going low budget. I also intend to have this camera for 2 - 3 years before I make the next jump.

Since I do mostly motorsports photography, the faster focus, shutter speed, and overall speed of the camera is going to be highly important to me. Sounds like the 30D should fit me well.

I will check out the online vendor, and compare them to my local pro camera chain here in the Minneapolis area. Being able to go into a store and talk, work with someone on later lens purchases is going to be important.

The focus is definitely faster than the XT, but it's probably no diff from the system used in the XTi.

The advantage you will get is being able to shoot at 5fps.

The 30D is a great camera to use for motorsports photography though and you will definitely be pleased.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The focus is definitely faster than the XT, but it's probably no diff from the system used in the XTi.

The advantage you will get is being able to shoot at 5fps.

The 30D is a great camera to use for motorsports photography though and you will definitely be pleased.

Well I took the plunge so to speak.

I tested out the XTI, a used 20d, and a 30d all out on thursday at a local camera store. I ended up with the 30d with the big selling point being the quality of the test photos I took both indoors and outdoors, and especially the abilities to grab great photos of some of the birds flying around the store.

I am looking forward to shooting the next Motocross event, and hopefully some events at Road America.

About which to buy -- I'd say if you have to cut back on a lens section so you can afford the more expensive body then you are doing it 100% backwards. Pick out the lens(se) then buy a body to fit the remaining budget. People looking at your photos will never know if the shot was done on a 30d, 20d or 350d but they can see the effect of a better lens.

having used a DSLR I don't think the size of the LCD matter that much yo mostly used it for the menu. You can't compose shots with the LCD on an SLR. Very few SLR shooters look at the image on the LCD, except just to check exposure.

Even after buying the 30d I have my eyes set on 2 L series lenses from Canon. Both are IS USM Zoom lenses. I don't have a power budget of a serious photographer, but I intend to buy 2 lenses (within 2007) that cost more than the camera itself.

I want to be able to compose good, stable motocross shots, without having to be in dangerous locations to get them. An expensive lens is worth it to me, especially if it can save me a trip to the hospital! :)

The display is really important for me, as I am not a pro, and I tend to review photos quite regularly to make fine adjustments. It is a good thing, as most of the time I am able to spot images I need to retake, before I get back to my laptop.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
The display is really important for me, as I am not a pro, and I tend to review photos quite regularly to make fine adjustments. It is a good thing, as most of the time I am able to spot images I need to retake, before I get back to my laptop.

The LCD is not accurate enough to rely on when reviewing photos. The only part of the display that you should be looking at is the histogram as the picture is pretty worthless, although the highlighting for blowouts can be useful in telling if you are overexposed, but even then, the size of the display doesn't matter as you get huge blinking sections of your photo.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I agree,

However since the Histogram shrinks the image before displaying it on the screen with the flashing black and white. The larger the native display is, the more able I am to discern what exactly what is flashing on the screen, and have a nice large histogram to view. :)

I also do enjoy looking at the pictures, and sharing them with people that I am taking pictures with, all without having to pull out the laptop to do so. But I guess that makes me a non pro ;) .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.