Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Hi guys!

Well, I've had my 40D for a little while now, and I'm really enjoying learning the ins-and-outs of it all. I've shot a few thousand photos, now, and I feel like I'm getting progressively better.... maybe... :p

Anyway, I've come to realize I'm *really* enjoying shooting street photography at night and in the rain. I got myself a 50mm 1.8, and when downtown (either where I live near the college, or back home at the Country Club Plaza in KC), I'm looking forward to rainy nights, as I love getting the low-light shots, and the wetness adds a beautiful sheen to everything.

I've been using the "Rain Sleeve" from Optech. They're cheap, and effective... but I can only use one like once or twice before it gets gross or messed up, and the extra length at the end makes using the 50mm kind of a PITA. Plus, since I keep ordering them when I run out, I go a few days without protection.

So, looking to get something a bit nicer, but I'd rather not spend more than about $100. The less the better. I've looked at Aqua-tech and Kata's offerings. Should I stick with one of those... or is there another brand I should consider?

Thanks!

pit29

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
I'd be interested in what you recommend as well... Actually, not having a good rain cover is what prevents me to go outside when it's too wet.

Do you have any pics online, like flickr, mattcube? I'm interested...

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
I don't right now, because, stupid me, I went home this past weekend, and I left my external drive with all my pics back there! :eek: And since I don't feel comfortable going out without the rain sleeves, (which I'm out of), it'll probably be a few weeks till I get some more. Sorry! But, I'll be honest, they're not that great. :p *I'm* really happy with them, because I feel like I'm learning and I like the way they turn out; but compared to someone who has done this for a while, mine are *very* amateur.

For the first couple times, I'd recommend you try those Rain Sleeves. They're pretty cheap, and it gives you a really good taste of wet shooting. My friends and family think it's ridiculous, because not only do I come back absolutely SOAKED, they make fun of my absurdly goofy-looking camera. :p

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I use hats, and place them on top of the camera, found that the British driver hat is great, it allows more access to the rear. I just a simple solution I have found to work well.

I am interested in what others do

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I keep a plastic trash bag in my camera bag along with a rubber band in case I get caught out in a rain. You cut off one corner which you use to put the lens through and secure it on with the rubber band. I've seen people put the bag over the lens, then screw on a filter which cuts a circular hole the exact right size. Alternatively you can also wedge the bag onto the viewfinder and poke a hole there too so you can see through the viewfinder more easily and not need to compromise the waterproofing.

If you're going to go the disposable route this may be cheaper than those rain sleeves you mentioned.

Ruahrc

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Those "rain capes" only offer so much protection. If you want something sturdier you have a lot of options. At the high end are very expensive housings that allow you to take the camera scuba diving. I have one of these. I routinely clean a housed camera be dunking in in a bucket. I have a video housing also. But these are way to expensive, bulky and heavy for normal use.

The next step down are the Ewa Marine water proof bags. These can protect a camera from a dunk and are maybe safe to allow a camera to be use a few feet under water in a swimming pool. They are not cheap but compared to the dive housing (which cots about 2X the price of an SLR body) they are.

Next down the list are the Rain Capes made by the same company. They are heavy duty vinyl and will last a long time but any cape is useless in blowing rain

They make many kinds. Here is one of them
http://www.ewa-marine.de/index.php?id=453
The web site will show pictures of these things used by divers. Don't believe for a minute that it would work. The pressure will "vacuum pack" the plastic to the camera and none of the controls will work

The high end housing look like this
http://www.backscatter.com/HostedSt...op=cn&s6=Shop&sop=AND&sf=Price&so=Descending&

Compromise for "slash zone" photography in and around saltwater is this
http://www.backscatter.com/HostedSt...op=cn&s6=Shop&sop=AND&sf=Price&so=Descending&

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Fotosharp covers- try before you buy policy too.

Wow... that looks pretty good. The reviews do seem *very* positive, and I like the try before you buy policy. I guess I'll wait to see rain in the forecast, and I'll pick up a cover.

Thanks!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Wow... that looks pretty good. The reviews do seem *very* positive, and I like the try before you buy policy. I guess I'll wait to see rain in the forecast, and I'll pick up a cover.

Thanks!

I've got two now, they're my third and fourth or fourth and fifth (can't remember for sure.) I had the white ones early on and switched to the cammo ones, got two different sizes and then couldn't find the big one and got a second- which of course made the first one show up immediately thereafter.

They beat the heck out of Optech IMO- I had one of those and one of the other big brands, both sucked for getting on the camera and moving around with it.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
+1 for the Fotosharp. Very good cover for the money and suprisingly durable for something so thin. If you are going to use it with a flash I suggest using a rubber band to hold the cover flush against the flash head for better light output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.